OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still expensive. Don't kid yourself. Even dry base rock. It's the same for all of us and the worst part is that's mined right here in Florida. The quarries don't sell small quantities so.... The Garden centers sell Florida field rock with shells encrusted on it as landscaping stone. I have a pile of it out back and I'm gonna hose it and soak it in Chlorine for a few days. Would love to see if its Reef safe. I'm sure testing for phosphates will be primary concern. It's no where near as porous as the stuff we buy for the tanks but I'd love to know if it's usable. And that stuff is cheap.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know that dry rock isn't worth buying really.
I posted too early.
I knew a few people who would drill holes into the rock to add more porous textures

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A2CD96B1-B427-498E-88CB-68A9C0C988C0.jpeg
It’s soaking in bleach

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But if you know how to work with it, you could turn it into something nice. I took a large 15lb one and broke it up. Was surprised at the inside look. Bristle worms loved it.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see how it works. As I said, it came from the landscaper pile. Pukani it's not! I want to clean it and break it up and hon my aquascaping skills. If it works it's good, If not I'll call it art and put it on the cocktail table. LOL

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're too funny. Watch tv with hubby and DON'T talk bugs!
I can't help it. They are amazing life forms who are very under appreciated. I have 4 to 5 fireworms in my tank, no they aren't your normal common bristle. They are amazing scavangers. I have a black and white bobbit worm. Haven't seen her in awhile. She loves GHA. I need to buy another rock from my lfs that is covered in it. She's exceptionally shy and quick. Grazes mostly when lights are off. I keep trying to get her on camera.
Being able to watch all the critters is just one of the best parts of this hobby for me. Sure corals are nice. Fish all have different personalities and can give me a laugh. I could probably turn this into 10 pages. But I wont.
I get to make cinnamon rolls for lunch and watch my little one do his happy dance. He loves home made cinnamon rolls.
I'm happy I got my sink back. LOL

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're too funny. Watch tv with hubby and DON'T talk bugs!
I can't help it. They are amazing life forms who are very under appreciated. I have 4 to 5 fireworms in my tank, no they aren't your normal common bristle. They are amazing scavangers. I have a black and white bobbit worm. Haven't seen her in awhile. She loves GHA. I need to buy another rock from my lfs that is covered in it. She's exceptionally shy and quick. Grazes mostly when lights are off. I keep trying to get her on camera.
Being able to watch all the critters is just one of the best parts of this hobby for me. Sure corals are nice. Fish all have different personalities and can give me a laugh. I could probably turn this into 10 pages. But I wont.
I get to make cinnamon rolls for lunch and watch my little one do his happy dance. He loves home made cinnamon rolls.
I'm happy I got my sink back. LOL
I'm sorry. Just now saw your post. You should see my Aiptasia eating nudibranch that came in today. Those things look like aliens. Been playing catch up all day with the existing tanks. Too much time on the build and not enough on the existing stuff. You remind me of my deceased wife Eve. She would get up in the middle of the night with an infrared flashlight and look for weird stuff in the rocks.
Catch you tomorrow.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad I didn't know more bug lovers. Seems to be rare in all trades. Sounds like Eve was an amazing person.
I hope your aips never come back!
My nickname growing up was Doug the bug lol I love insects ect.. sometimes I enjoy the micro life in the aquaria more so than the fish

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back