New Tank - SC Aquarium 240 Gallon - R2R 24K Apex A3 Pro System Prize!

Rickarded-Reefer

Reefing Since - 2003 - Still Going Strong!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... Here goes nothing. Well actually here's goes a lot of money and something!!! :)

Let's start with making a quick introduction and saying hello to all my Reefing Fam out there. Super blessed :smiling-face-with-halo: and thankful that I'm in a place where I can actually make this dream a reality.

So quick back story. Been in the Fish Aquarium Hobby pretty much my entire life it feels like. I know that sounds silly, but I remember falling in love with a FOWLR Saltwater Tank my Mom's Ex-boyfriend had in his house at the age of 5 (1985). I'd sit there and just watch that tank for hours. For Christmas that year I received my first fish tank, It was a 20 gallon system filled with Tiger Barbs, Silver Shark, Tetra's and a Pleco. Even though it was cleaned and maintained by my Mom until I was around 10, I still had the responsibility of feeding and using the magnet on the glass so I was earning my stripes to some extent. (Wishful Thinking)

I had that tank running until I was 18, at one point it was even a turtle tank but still kept fish in it. There was a 2 year stretch where I did not have a system running. However, at the age of 23 I finally had my first Apartment. I was gifted a 40 Gallon Breeder with a Fluval Canister Filter that my parents old neighbor had been running as a Salt Water System. Man oh Man I learned a lot of hard lessons with that tank and spent way too much money on coral and fish I had no knowledge or experience in owning. But with a lot of determination, desire, and many days of slapping myself on the head and watching money go down the drain literally :( I soon learned enough about proper lighting and filtration. I eventually upgraded away from that 40 Breeder when I realized I couldn't achieve the goals I wanted, which was replicating the tanks at all the LFS's in my area. Soooo onto a 70 Gallon Vision System with a 30 gallon sump, DIY Fuge, and a combo of T5 and metal halide lighting. That tank ran amazing and moved with me from multiple Apt. for almost 8 years. One of those moves was unfortunately due to it flooding my living room and completely toasting the neighbors below me twice. The apartment management was quick to let me know it's the tank or me. Obviously, the tank had to stay! Plus that system ran so well I don't think there was anything that ever died when it was in full swing. I had corals growing up the wazoo!!! If it just wasn't for that hang on the back overflow system...

Anyways... I ended up gifting that tank to my old roommate when my now wife and I finally got married and moved in together. She wasn't having the tank after I told her all the horror stories of it overflowing... But It was only 7 months before the itch bit me again and with a little sweet talking and after the purchase of our first home, she allowed me to upgrade once again to our current tank which is a 90 Gallon rimless SC Aquarium. It's currently running with a Red Starfish 250 gallon skimmer, Fuge, and (2) 150W NICREW LED's. It's a mixed Reef System with some SPS, LPS, and Softies. I've had this system running for the past 8 years. My 7 year old Son is just as passionate about the Hobby as I was at his age. I remember going to pet shops and knowing all the different species names and the store owners / employees being super impressed. My son is doing the same thing, but with Coral too... It's awesome to watch people light up and smile when he yells from across the shop, "Dad! Come see this Acro, or plating Monti, or Acan, or "insert fish species" while I'm talking shop with other fin fans.

So, after all the back story... This now brings us to where we're at now and onto this new tank thread build. We have officially made the jump to a 200+ Gallon System. I really want to document this build for the fact that my son has something to one day look back at as we start this adventure together. With our 90 Gallon running smooth for over 8 years, along with my wife and son both loving what it does for our home entertainment pleasure... When I won the R2R 24K Neptune APEX A3 Pro Package, First thing my son said was "I guess we need to get a new tank". Didn't really take a lot of arm twisting to get me to bite that lure. It was an easy sell and I'm thankful that our dream build is now becoming a reality. I've been taking advantage and using this site for years. Unfortunately I was just never a member. Sometime in 2023 I decided to make that jump. R2R has always been such an amazing place to gain knowledge and reading what others have posted when I just can't figure something out on my own. I decided it was time to also do the same thing and start passing some of that knowledge down for others that are looking to get started in the hobby themselves. Hopefully this new tank thread inspires someone thinking about making upgrades to their current system, or to a new one all together. Or jumping into the hobby, trying to get ideas, or figure out how to do something they just can't figure out on their own. Etc... Etc...

I'll stop there for now since this is my first post... More to come and looking forward to what the finished product looks like one day.
Pictures Provided - 24K Prize along with the Neptune SKY Lights I purchased. New SC Aquarium 240 Gallon Tank, Current 90 Gallon SC PNP system.

APEX 24K Prize.jpg SCA 240.jpg 11-7-23.jpg

mamarea4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... Here goes nothing. Well actually here's goes a lot of money and something!!! :)

Let's start with making a quick introduction and saying hello to all my Reefing Fam out there. Super blessed :smiling-face-with-halo: and thankful that I'm in a place where I can actually make this dream a reality.

So quick back story. Been in the Fish Aquarium Hobby pretty much my entire life it feels like. I know that sounds silly, but I remember falling in love with a FOWLR Saltwater Tank my Mom's Ex-boyfriend had in his house at the age of 5 (1985). I'd sit there and just watch that tank for hours. For Christmas that year I received my first fish tank, It was a 20 gallon system filled with Tiger Barbs, Silver Shark, Tetra's and a Pleco. Even though it was cleaned and maintained by my Mom until I was around 10, I still had the responsibility of feeding and using the magnet on the glass so I was earning my stripes to some extent. (Wishful Thinking)

I had that tank running until I was 18, at one point it was even a turtle tank but still kept fish in it. There was a 2 year stretch where I did not have a system running. However, at the age of 23 I finally had my first Apartment. I was gifted a 40 Gallon Breeder with a Fluval Canister Filter that my parents old neighbor had been running as a Salt Water System. Man oh Man I learned a lot of hard lessons with that tank and spent way too much money on coral and fish I had no knowledge or experience in owning. But with a lot of determination, desire, and many days of slapping myself on the head and watching money go down the drain literally :( I soon learned enough about proper lighting and filtration. I eventually upgraded away from that 40 Breeder when I realized I couldn't achieve the goals I wanted, which was replicating the tanks at all the LFS's in my area. Soooo onto a 70 Gallon Vision System with a 30 gallon sump, DIY Fuge, and a combo of T5 and metal halide lighting. That tank ran amazing and moved with me from multiple Apt. for almost 8 years. One of those moves was unfortunately due to it flooding my living room and completely toasting the neighbors below me twice. The apartment management was quick to let me know it's the tank or me. Obviously, the tank had to stay! Plus that system ran so well I don't think there was anything that ever died when it was in full swing. I had corals growing up the wazoo!!! If it just wasn't for that hang on the back overflow system...

Anyways... I ended up gifting that tank to my old roommate when my now wife and I finally got married and moved in together. She wasn't having the tank after I told her all the horror stories of it overflowing... But It was only 7 months before the itch bit me again and with a little sweet talking and after the purchase of our first home, she allowed me to upgrade once again to our current tank which is a 90 Gallon rimless SC Aquarium. It's currently running with a Red Starfish 250 gallon skimmer, Fuge, and (2) 150W NICREW LED's. It's a mixed Reef System with some SPS, LPS, and Softies. I've had this system running for the past 8 years. My 7 year old Son is just as passionate about the Hobby as I was at his age. I remember going to pet shops and knowing all the different species names and the store owners / employees being super impressed. My son is doing the same thing, but with Coral too... It's awesome to watch people light up and smile when he yells from across the shop, "Dad! Come see this Acro, or plating Monti, or Acan, or "insert fish species" while I'm talking shop with other fin fans.

So, after all the back story... This now brings us to where we're at now and onto this new tank thread build. We have officially made the jump to a 200+ Gallon System. I really want to document this build for the fact that my son has something to one day look back at as we start this adventure together. With our 90 Gallon running smooth for over 8 years, along with my wife and son both loving what it does for our home entertainment pleasure... When I won the R2R 24K Neptune APEX A3 Pro Package, First thing my son said was "I guess we need to get a new tank". Didn't really take a lot of arm twisting to get me to bite that lure. It was an easy sell and I'm thankful that our dream build is now becoming a reality. I've been taking advantage and using this site for years. Unfortunately I was just never a member. Sometime in 2023 I decided to make that jump. R2R has always been such an amazing place to gain knowledge and reading what others have posted when I just can't figure something out on my own. I decided it was time to also do the same thing and start passing some of that knowledge down for others that are looking to get started in the hobby themselves. Hopefully this new tank thread inspires someone thinking about making upgrades to their current system, or to a new one all together. Or jumping into the hobby, trying to get ideas, or figure out how to do something they just can't figure out on their own. Etc... Etc...

I'll stop there for now since this is my first post... More to come and looking forward to what the finished product looks like one day.
Pictures Provided - 24K Prize along with the Neptune SKY Lights I purchased. New SC Aquarium 240 Gallon Tank, Current 90 Gallon SC PNP system.

APEX 24K Prize.jpg SCA 240.jpg 11-7-23.jpg
Love your story! It's so awesome that you get to share your passion for the hobby with your family! Congrats on the big win and new tank! Looking forward to seeing the setup!

OP
OP
Rickarded-Reefer

Rickarded-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your story! It's so awesome that you get to share your passion for the hobby with your family! Congrats on the big win and new tank! Looking forward to seeing the setup!
Thank You!!! Soooo much to do, but as a lot of us that have been doing this for a while have come to learn. Patience is everything in this hobby. Take things slow, and enjoy the process. Really trying to have the 90 gallon relocated and the 240 in the house by the end of April. This should allow enough time to stock up when Reef-a-Palooza arrives in Anaheim CA! LOL!!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Rickarded-Reefer

Rickarded-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank and great story, following.
Appreciate the follow! Fingers crossed I'm able to get it onto the stand this weekend and start plumbing. As I stated to a previous follower. Reef-A-Palooza is in my backyard in September. My goal is to have the tank in the house and cycling by or before the end of April. Fingers Crossed!!! :flushed-face:

OP
OP
Rickarded-Reefer

Rickarded-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay,

Hope this is the correct spot to put up my next post... As I mentioned in my opening statement, being a member on here and learning how this site works is all new to me. I'm honestly not a big social media person so bare with me.

Aqua Scape Time!

So let me start out by saying that I'm super disappointed that I did not go with Marco Rock for the entire scape build. I thought for sure that adding different brands would make things so much more interesting and add a different appearance visually when looking tank. HOWEVER!!! The Caribsea LifeRock is a no go for me moving forward. At least when trying to create a HNSA style scape. The problem I had with the Caribsea is that it's a man made rock that they create with plaster. If you're keeping the rock as a solid piece, it's Great... But if you're breaking it up into smaller pieces and gluing and using putty to create a unique look, it's absolutely horrible. And super heavy for what you get in terms of surface area for beneficial bacteria. I tend to like a more porous rock, Caribsea is not that... We did use some of their Tonga Branches, even though 6 out of the 9 pieces showed up damaged... I bit of putty and super glue did the trick. You can hardly tell if you're not looking super close.

Marco Rock however... That stuff ROCKS! Literally! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: (Dad Joke, Sorry)

My 90 Gallon cube was built back when Pukani dry rock was still available. Man did I love that stuff. I had a ton left over that's been chilling in the back yard for 6-7 years. Unfortunately it's been exposed to the elements and whatever else has been sprayed or used around it. I didn't trust trying to repurpose it and cure it for 5-6 weeks to get whatever it might have been exposed to in the backyard out of it. Not worth the risk, if I want to save money, best to focus in other areas.

So Marco Rock... That stuff for aqua scaping is what dreams are made of. After watching enough BRS TV on how to create a HSNA Scape, along with the best tricks and hacks from multiple other sources... (Tidal Gardens was another really good one) My son and I were off to work. Hammer... Check. Chisel... Check... You want to give a 7 year old the time of his life. Tell him to beat rocks into smithereens. Boy did he ever... I had to help with the Caribsea due to how dense that stuff was. Let me also add, breaking up close to 300 lbs of rock is quite the task... Now I know why they made prisoners due that as hard labor.

The Aqua scape came together in about 4-5 days. Ryan from BRS TV said he spent 2 weeks on his... I can see where you can get lost in the weeds with it. But I also took advice to stop often, take breaks to reset the eyes, and make any adjustments at that time.

After I had the scape where we wanted it, due to the Marco being bone white and the Caribsea having a coraline look to it, I realized it might be a slight eyesore that first 3-6 months as we wait for it to cycle and grow natural coraline algae and other life on it. During my YouTube deep dive, I remember seeing a video from a company called Addictive Reef Keeping - http:www.addictivereefkeeping.com (Not sponsored) They sold a reef safe paint you can use to spray on the marco dry rock to help make it looked aged. I decided since I have enough invested into this build as it is... What's another $90 to keep the wife happy. Her only ask has been, please make this the most beautiful looking tank. Only because it's located smack dab in the living room and is the first thing you lock eyes on when you walk into the house.

So once we had everything built out and completed, we were off to painting the rock. I used 3 different colors. Pink, Purple, and a slightly darker purple. All in all, I'm super happy with how it turned out. I wanted to make sure there was plenty of caves, and hiding places for all the fish. Keeping our fin friends from stressing out is such an important part of this hobby. But also most importantly... Plenty of room for coral placement!!! :face-with-tongue:

I'm such a sucking for encrusting pieces and love me some SPS... Wife is a huge fan of GSP, so I wanted to make sure the bottom base pieces would be a great place for GSP, but would not allow for spread up the rock due to shading and shadow. This way it creates that grass field look, and I can add all the other exotics higher up in the scape.

Probably not the smartest idea, but I decided to place the scape into the tank before lifting and adding it onto the stand. for one... The stand is 38" in height and the tank is 36". Trying to lower down 80lb scapes that high up had me puckering my you know what. It was tough enough getting it all situated on the ground. So I'm happy that I made that decision. We'll see if I'm still thinking that way when we go to lift it with 6 guys and how many issues we run into at that time. Fingers crossed once again for us... If all goes well, we're trying for this weekend if not the next. More to come as this Journey Continues. Thanks to all for the kind words and the follows. Truly puts a smile on my face and keeps this tread exciting as I document everything.

Scape Build - 2.jpg Scape Buile - 1.jpg Scape Build - 3.jpg Scape Build - 4.jpg Scape Build - 5.jpg Scape Build - 6 - All In.jpg Scape Build - 7 - All In.jpg Scape Build - 8 - All In.jpg Scape Finished 1.jpg

OP
OP
Rickarded-Reefer

Rickarded-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching! Anxious to see how this comes together. The height of this tank has me in the fence of getting one.
Thank You! IMO... I have a 90 Gallon SC Aquarium that I absolutely LOVE. On the 240, originally the pictures I saw had it as a completely open rimless design (What I wanted). After talking with Steve from SC, they made some design changes during Covid. Probably started working with a new manufacture??? They now have additional bracing going across the euro bracing that runs around the tank. Awesome idea from a leak prevention and overall strength design. Not so great for getting pre-assembled aqua scape into the tank... Especially when you don't measure twice - cut once like I did. I taped out my hole sizes incorrectly and had to play a scary game of Rock Tetris trying to lower 75-80 lb creations into the tank praying that my gluing / mortar / and putty skills were above par. Thank God they were. Just food for thought... Besides that, I absolutely love the height as you mentioned. At 32" it's going to give a lot more room for my Tang's to swim freely.

OP
OP
Rickarded-Reefer

Rickarded-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay!!! Let's discuss the stand that this 240 Gallon beast is going to live on. It truly does deserve it's own portion of this build thread specifically dedicated to it. For starters, just the sheer battle I had in my head trying to figure out which direction to go was half of it. Do I go traditional Wood, or should I go Steel / Powder Coated due to the weight, Half/Half, Etc... Etc... So many choices to pick from... And so many opinions online and via YouTube. But at the end, and with a lot of thought put into it. I decided to go with AluFab (https://www.alufabinc.com/aquarium-stands/). The customer Service ALONE that Michael Nimmo and Fred Mileham provided really did give me peace of mind too once I came to grips with my decision. I'll also mention, the videos that @Tidal Gardens did about the quality of their product had me super excited with what the final results could look like once assembled.

Stand dems.png
Stand Draft.jpg

Going into it, I was actually super nervous. I consider myself a halfway handy individual. I've built my fair share of furniture from Ikea. I worked a bit of construction when I was younger but opted for a different career path not long into it. But building a stand from Scratch after watching the YouTube video of Mike Paletta struggling to assemble it had me doubting myself. Boy oh Boy was I wrong... This thing went together like Alcohol and Bad Decisions... Too EASY! My son and I literally had it completely finished in 2 hours tops... They have a QR Code listed on the paperwork that gives you step by step instructions on how it goes together. If you can follow those steps and can turn an allen wrench, which they provide with purchase... Than you're good to go.

AluFab - Parts.jpg

AluFab Built.jpg

I will say, that the packaging on it was top notch too. It arrived from the freight company shrink wrapped on the pallet with the Starboard protected as well. My fear was that the doors and starboard (Top and Sump Bottom) would get chipped or damaged by the shipper. That was not the case, AluFab does an awesome job making sure that everything is properly secured and protected.

After I had everything assembled, I noticed that the bottom portion of the starboard was sagging in the middle where the sump sat along with the other side where the controller cabinet will go. I wasn't sure if that was my fault due to where I placed the supports. I reached out Fred at AluFab, showed him a picture of the finished product and asked about the supports. He quickly reassured my original decision on why I picked them and stated not to worry. He was going to reach out to Mike and have 2 additional supports shipped out free of charge. Boy was I stoked! Here I thought I was going to just live with it and hope it doesn't eventually crack or damage the sump once filled with water weight over time.

New Support Brackets arrived in the mail yesterday and I was able to get them installed tonight. The image below shows the original install of the single support bracket. The second image shows the newly added bar to now provide 6 supports. Everything sits perfectly flush now.

AluFab - Bottom 1.jpg
AluFab - Bottom 2.jpg

All in all... I'm very happy with the choices we made to go with AluFab for the stand our new build will live on for years to come... As I stated in the beginning of this build thread, my wife was 100% on board with us setting up a new tank as long as I make it look amazing and not an eyesore. So far, so good... Next task at hand will be the controller cabinet. Keep everyone posted! :cool:

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am building a 280 display in March of 2024 following your progress and what you are posting is AWESOME I was going to mix up the aquascape too...I will just skip the frustration and marco rock.. plus what I already own in my 180 that I want to keep....the photos of progression are super helpful, and painting it to skip some ugly??!!! Freaking COOL. I'm not a rimless tank person I like the hoods so some differences also hubby refuses to set it up...so lfs is going to bring and set.

OP
OP
Rickarded-Reefer

Rickarded-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am building a 280 display in March of 2024 following your progress and what you are posting is AWESOME I was going to mix up the aquascape too...I will just skip the frustration and marco rock.. plus what I already own in my 180 that I want to keep....the photos of progression are super helpful, and painting it to skip some ugly??!!! Freaking COOL. I'm not a rimless tank person I like the hoods so some differences also hubby refuses to set it up...so lfs is going to bring and set.
Sounds Amazing!!! I'd love to see pictures once it's up and running. :)

Trust me, having it all pre-set from your LFS is piece of mind and so much less stressful. I've thought to myself a few times now, I should have just... But seriously it's a WIN WIN for you. I'm a huge fan of PNP Systems too, Unfortunately my OCD and constant desire to do things "Different" makes them a bit frustrating for me when trying to changes things up. But part of me also says, a CADE would have been a smarter move. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Yes - use Marco Dry Rock if you're building your own scape. That with the BRS Super Glue and BRS Insta-Set was a real game changer.
BRS-Super.jpg
BRS Insta.jpg

I probably wouldn't have painted it if I hadn't mixed multiple brands together. Was looking a little bit too un-natural with all the mix match so I had to find a work around. I saw others using water downed PVC Glue on YouTube, but that scared me. I wasn't sure if it would leach back into the water and potentially cause future nightmares.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back