WiFi failure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Apex for about 4 years. Suddenly a couple weeks ago (while we were out of town, of course) When we get back it's running fine, just not connecting. I try unplugging and resetting it without any change so I run an ethernet cord just to get it connected until I can spend some time on it.

Last night, I spent some time and tried:
  • powering it off and on - no change
  • resetting it - no change
  • resetting it and holding for 10 seconds - the light turns blue as soon as I disconnect the LAN cable. After resetting, the LED cycles through colors then turns blue again.
  • Connecting to the apex wifi setup network:
    • navigating to http://apex.local didn't work
    • I was able to use 172.16.0.1 to get to the setup screen
    • On the setup screen I tired entering my wifi network and it didn't work.
    • After resetting again and using 172.16.0.1 I tried the Lock Access mode per the instructions on this page. The first time it locked up after logging in. The second time I was able to navigate to the network configuration screen and enter my wifi network info. The LED turned orange for a second and it seemed to work, then it went back to blue and wouldn't connect.
Is there anything else to try? Interestingly, my computer had a hard time connecting to the apex wifi setup network and when it did connect, it the connection would seem to fail. While it's connected to the LAN I can check the wifi settings page and it appears to be set up properly and prior to this it was working perfectly so I'm wondering if there's a problem with the wifi card.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had my Apex for about 4 years. Suddenly a couple weeks ago (while we were out of town, of course) When we get back it's running fine, just not connecting. I try unplugging and resetting it without any change so I run an ethernet cord just to get it connected until I can spend some time on it.

Last night, I spent some time and tried:
  • powering it off and on - no change
  • resetting it - no change
  • resetting it and holding for 10 seconds - the light turns blue as soon as I disconnect the LAN cable. After resetting, the LED cycles through colors then turns blue again.
  • Connecting to the apex wifi setup network:
    • navigating to http://apex.local didn't work
    • I was able to use 172.16.0.1 to get to the setup screen
    • On the setup screen I tired entering my wifi network and it didn't work.
    • After resetting again and using 172.16.0.1 I tried the Lock Access mode per the instructions on this page. The first time it locked up after logging in. The second time I was able to navigate to the network configuration screen and enter my wifi network info. The LED turned orange for a second and it seemed to work, then it went back to blue and wouldn't connect.
Is there anything else to try? Interestingly, my computer had a hard time connecting to the apex wifi setup network and when it did connect, it the connection would seem to fail. While it's connected to the LAN I can check the wifi settings page and it appears to be set up properly and prior to this it was working perfectly so I'm wondering if there's a problem with the wifi card.
Mine does the same thing. unplug your router and plug it back in. That worked wonders for mine…so far anyway.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same thing. unplug your router and plug it back in. That worked wonders for mine…so far anyway.
Thanks - I did a router reset, then repeated the steps above (connected to Apex wifi setup network, logged in to 172.16.0.1, locked access point mode and re-entered the wifi network info.) So far it's stayed connected for an hour. Hopefully that fixed it!

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I did a router reset, then repeated the steps above (connected to Apex wifi setup network, logged in to 172.16.0.1, locked access point mode and re-entered the wifi network info.) So far it's stayed connected for an hour. Hopefully that fixed it!
Next time try power cycling the router first and don't touch the Apex, that usually fixes it.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time try power cycling the router first and don't touch the Apex, that usually fixes it.
Yeah- I think I may have tried that. We were out of town and that was the only thing I could do remotely but I can't remember for sure at this point. It had a couple of disconnects overnight but seems to be working now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - the Wi-Fi connection failed again last night and was of for 8+ hours. Tried resetting the router without any change. When I checked the controller the light was orange which is supposed to mean everything’s ok. I unplugged the controller for a minute and plugged it back in and it connected without problem. Arrgh!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the wifi module on the apex might be failing. Can you ping it on that IP address and get a reply? Ping should work with it but I don't have an apex so have never tested that. If you get a reply it still might be failing but a reply means it's still answering.

RLucas50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex, even when brand new out of the box. would not hold a WiFi connection to my router even though I have 14 other devices connected to the router that have no problems. Neptune support could not fix the problem and said it must be my router which is less than 10ft. from the Apex.
I finally gave up on the WiFi and got a cheap (<$50) range extender from Amazon and plugged it into a power strip next to the tank. Connected the Apex to the range extender via Cat5 cable. The range extender doesn't drop the connection so Apex is always connected.
Neptune has some great stuff but some of the sub-modules in it really need improving.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - I have an update on mine. It worked for a while, then started randomly disconnecting again. I still had my old Wi-Fi router so I set it up as a separate network and connected my apex to the old Wi-Fi router and it’s been rock solid since then. It appears there was some incompatibility between my new router and my apex. It was very inconsistent, though. Often times it would work fine for days at a time, other times it would only last a few hours.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back