Wild caught sun coral, is it worth it?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2023
Messages
3,158
Reaction score
2,642
Location
Falmouth
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently browsing a website when I noticed wild caught australian tubastrea, now I know the care for NPS coral, though I've heard that wild caught sun coral is considerably more difficult than their aquacultured counterparts, and since I'm only keeping wild caught colonies I wanted to jump on this opportunity, though i don't want this colony to die on me. I am planning to keep it in a deep cave with weekly feedings of meaty foods, though is there anything else I can do to best ensure their survival? Thanks
Screenshot_20230926_112227_Samsung Internet.jpg
 
I would feed them everyday. I did a dive in Costa Rica years ago on a rockpile that was covered in tubastrea. The water was a blizzard of plankton.
No problem! I have a coral only setup (hopefully not for much longer) and my refeugium lets me broadcast feed every night
 
Last edited:
I have kept several colonies in my mixed reef for many years. There is no need to hide them in a dark cave, mine are up near the surface in front of the overflow intake in bright light and fairly strong (intermittent) flow. They open as soon as they smell food in the water, and since they are so close to the top they are very easy to feed. If you make it easy to feed you will more likely do so. Once I moved them up to the top they began to flourish. When they were closer to the bottom they were just surviving.
IMG_1153.JPEG
 
I have kept several colonies in my mixed reef for many years. There is no need to hide them in a dark cave, mine are up near the surface in front of the overflow intake in bright light and fairly strong (intermittent) flow. They open as soon as they smell food in the water, and since they are so close to the top they are very easy to feed. If you make it easy to feed you will more likely do so. Once I moved them up to the top they began to flourish. When they were closer to the bottom they were just surviving.
IMG_1153.JPEG
Wow! Thats beautiful! I only was thinking of adding them to a cave to replace their wild habitat (and hopefully see some polyp extension during the day :) ) I do unfortunately have higher light so I don't know if that would work, how often/what do you feed? I was thinking if I put them in a cave I could pop a mysis or some other frozen cube it and it would float to the top while slowly releasing food. Though yours look amazing!
 
I found a video a couple of months ago where by a guy named Wang Huohuo from china was using newly hatched artemia to feed his NPS with great success. It was called Is NPS coral really expert only. Pretty good info.
 
Watch this video

Great info on them and you need to feed more than weekly.

Ah, my bad, it was the walking dendro that need to be fed 1-2 times weekly, I posted a thread earlier about them. Though I have to say good idea mixing foods instead of using just mysis or some other, and throughout the first half of the video all I was thinking was "that's way too close to the other coral, it's not going to like that" lol
 
This is a coral that requires feeding. It will die if you neglect it.
Yes, my bad in the post, it was walking dendro that need 1-2 times weekly as they can photosynthesize, just not as well as other corals, tubastrea need frequent feedings
 
I found a video a couple of months ago where by a guy named Wang Huohuo from china was using newly hatched artemia to feed his NPS with great success. It was called Is NPS coral really expert only. Pretty good info.
I do that to feed hammers and pretty much everything. I hatch baby brine maybe weekly to feed the mandarin (don’t worry my tank is overrun with pods, this is supplemental), fish, and spray down any LPS with tentacles out. I’m also recently been on a NPS kick. I have fat head dendros, a regular yellow dendro, NPS gorgonian, and just bought a black sun Coral which I’ll pick up from AquaSD tomorrow.
 
I’ll be follow the video above to try and get the sun coral to open during the day. AquaSd has a couple sun corals and black sun corals, I was looking at this post from reefbuilders and the black sun coral is beautiful.

https://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/10/tubastrea-micrantha/
Oh and I feed phyto daily since I culture it, which is why I have tons of pods. I sometimes wonder if I need to feed NPS I have so many pods even with a mandarin and six line in a 32 gallon for a year and a half.
 
I’ll be follow the video above to try and get the sun coral to open during the day. AquaSd has a couple sun corals and black sun corals, I was looking at this post from reefbuilders and the black sun coral is beautiful.

https://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/10/tubastrea-micrantha/
Oh and I feed phyto daily since I culture it, which is why I have tons of pods. I sometimes wonder if I need to feed NPS I have so many pods even with a mandarin and six line in a 32 gallon for a year and a half.
I do feed phyto every other day, pods aren't a problem considering I so far have a fishless setup and an abundance of diatoms in my 8 1/2 month old tank
 
I do that to feed hammers and pretty much everything. I hatch baby brine maybe weekly to feed the mandarin (don’t worry my tank is overrun with pods, this is supplemental), fish, and spray down any LPS with tentacles out. I’m also recently been on a NPS kick. I have fat head dendros, a regular yellow dendro, NPS gorgonian, and just bought a black sun Coral which I’ll pick up from AquaSD tomorrow.
Which nps listed, less the gorgo, has done the best for you?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new