Wild caught sun coral, is it worth it?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Which nps listed, less the gorgo, has done the best for you?
Fathead dendro. The yellow looking smaller head one closes a lot. Fatheads always want to feed and are easy. This is it next to an octospawn, it is huge.
IMG_0338.jpeg
IMG_0337.jpeg

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ty. Always wanted to add some. May b the time. Lol
This is the other one I have from AquaSd, it has a much smaller head/mouth.
1695784430209.png

Like the video I posted above on Youtube with the Tubastrea, it is closed alot which means it is harder to feed. If I use a pippette and drop a pellet or food on it and it is closed, it just falls off. I thought I starved it to death, then just ended up staying up past lights out to make sure it got food. I fed reef roids, and eventually the flesh came back and I can now feed it solids again. It is random when it opens up though.

We will see what the black sun coral does.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thats beautiful! I only was thinking of adding them to a cave to replace their wild habitat (and hopefully see some polyp extension during the day :) ) I do unfortunately have higher light so I don't know if that would work, how often/what do you feed? I was thinking if I put them in a cave I could pop a mysis or some other frozen cube it and it would float to the top while slowly releasing food. Though yours look amazing!
Thank you, they are one of my favorite corals. Again, mine are in bright light all day and they remain open all day if I add a little bits of food through out day, which I often do. You WILL need to target feed them at least a couple of times a week, a little food every day is better. I "broadcast feed" the tank with a turkey baster so the other corals and fish get fed, and that causes the sun corals to open, but that alone is not enough food for them. Which is why for me, its better to have them near the top so I can feed them daily. I use a varying mix of frozen foods, which contains mysis, brine shrimp, "plankton", mussels, etc. There is not a solid recipie, it varys from time to time. Here is one more pic so you can see them in relation to the whole tank (58 gallon mixed reef).

IMG_1158.JPEG

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, they are one of my favorite corals. Again, mine are in bright light all day and they remain open all day if I add a little bits of food through out day, which I often do. You WILL need to target feed them at least a couple of times a week, a little food every day is better. I "broadcast feed" the tank with a turkey baster so the other corals and fish get fed, and that causes the sun corals to open, but that alone is not enough food for them. Which is why for me, its better to have them near the top so I can feed them daily. I use a varying mix of frozen foods, which contains mysis, brine shrimp, "plankton", mussels, etc. There is not a solid recipie, it varys from time to time. Here is one more pic so you can see them in relation to the whole tank (58 gallon mixed reef).

IMG_1158.JPEG
Wow! That tank is incredible! Is that a pleogyra on the bottom left?

Unfortunately my aquascape dosent have the opportunity to have a sun coral thrive that high up on the rockwork, but I did circle the places where one might be able to go
Screenshot_20230927_112508_Gallery~2.jpg

(Trust me the tank is alot more established than it looks)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back