On the captive care of wild caught lobophyllia, what have i learned and what to look for.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Over the last month I have been keeping a wild caught lobophyllia in my system, over that time I have learned quite a bit on the captive care of wild caught specimens of the species. Wild caught lobophyllia are known to be more sensitive, and often come infested with parasites that could end up killing the head or the entire colony. That being said, while they can be challenging, they are incredibly rewarding as wild caught colonies often come in larger and can sometimes have more unique and uncommon coloration that isn't seen often in aquacultured specimens. If you do decide to try and keep wild lobophyllia, there are some key things to look for when buying them, and certain things I've found to do well for my colony of lobophyllia. First thing to look for is during purchase. Whether it be online or at your LFS there are key things to look for. The most common being burrowing clams. Often seen as growths on the polyp or small holes, burrowing clams can be a death sentence to lobophyllia. Though thankfully they are quite easy to spot.
Screenshot_20230929_184101_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230929_184048_Samsung Internet.jpg

Circled in red are some instances of burrowing clams, they can irritate and sometimes end up burrowing through the stomach cavity of these corals, which ends up killing them. I'd recommend avoiding such specimens, though it isn't impossible to keep them alive once they have burrowing clams, the lobophyllia I have been keeping used to have a burrowing clam, though it was removed when the colony was separated off the rock/larger colony, which brings us to the second thing to look for. If you flip over the Colony, you can see where it has been fragged using a band saw, if there are large, circular holes in the base of the coral, that that piece used to have burrowing clams, ive found caring for them is much easier once the clams are removed, and as long as it hasn't destroyed the stomach cavity, then that coral can recover. The other pest to look out for are gall crabs, thankfully I haven't encountered one on my colony or the ones at my LFS, though they can be found by irregular, small holes on the base of the skeleton or seen poking out of the flesh, these crabs are parasites which will eat your coral, so it's important to remove them once you see them. Another obvious sign to look for is recession or white skeleton, if the coral gets irritated enough then it's skeleton can puncture its own flesh and stick out, again, I try to avoid such specimens, though as far as I know a lobo can recover from such damage
Screenshot_20230929_184106_Samsung Internet.jpg

An instance of the rim skeleton poking through the polyp.
Screenshot_20230929_184207_Samsung Internet.jpg

A very healthy lobo, this is something that you should buy.

Now that you have got your lobo, the next steps are also very important, and if I need to say this, ALWAYS DIP WILD CORAL!

Be sure to be very careful when placing it, not bumping it against any glass or rock. I made this mistake and unfortunately I ended up damaging a small portion, which has since mostly recovered. As in where to put it, I've found mine to prefer low flow, enough flow for debris to be able to settle is how I indicate low flow. They also prefer lower lighting and need to be placed near the lower tank, and while they can be placed on rock, I prefer placing mine on the sandbed. And it's also important to keep your water parameters stable, as true with all sensitive coral.

While I am not sure if this next step has contributed to my success, I do nightly broadcast feeding of small, meaty foods. I use Hikari coral gumbo. Spot feedings aren't required as mine will catch food out of the water column and being photosynthetic corals, produce the majority of their foods through photosynthesis. After a month this is what my colony looks like, polyp extension and no recession are great signs that your lobo is happy in it's environment
20230929_184417.jpg

I hope this was helpful for anyone interested in keeping wild caught lobophyllia, updates will be posted if necessary.

Thank you for reading.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things i left out: what i assume are (based on feathery feeding appendages and signature opening) coral barnicles are present in 2 out of the 3 heads on my lobophyllia, which leads me to believe they are common in wild caught lobophyllia, as they are in most wild caught coral. I have found them not to be a source of irritation, as one of the polyps they are present on is often fully extended with no recession whatsoever. Also if you are buying wild caught lobophyllia, from what I've seen, specimens from Indonesia seem to be more damaged/irritated, though this is based off of select specimens, so judge the colonies based off of their individual health, not the overall quality of the species.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While i hate to be making this post, here's something to remember
20231111_142926.jpg

I think I was wrong, burrowing clams may be a death sentence. After weeks of declining the last tissue finally died, I assume the coral had succumbed to the injuries, which is what caused it to first bleach and then STN. The fact that the first polyps to go were the ones with burrowing clams further inforces my theory. Your reminder. Check for burrowing clams, large circular holes in the base and small holes in the tissue are telltale signs, if the hole isn't all the way through than it's probably still alive. But remember the clam dosent need to be alive to kill the Lobo. I recently got a similar coral to lobos (A. Pachysepta) which has been in captivity for months and is burrowing clam free. I'll keep you updated!
20231111_143702.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back