Burrowing clam in lobo? What do i do?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some context, I just got this lobo yesterday, it's a wild caught lobo and has been doing OK, but I just noticed something sticking out of the center of one of the polyps. Since it is a wild caught colony I knew the risk, but I need to know what to do. I did just get it yesterday so I don't want to make the wrong call. This is what it looks like

20230908_153351.jpg

Now this piece in particular already has some old burrowing clam holes that died when this piece was broken off the main colony. It appears to be moving and looks similar to other ones I've seen. I know that if this is one the polyp is already dead as it has killed the mouth and stomach, but I want to be sure before I take it out.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is true( I can't tell from the pics/video) the best move would be to frag off that head and give it to someone you don;t like. My comment is made from experience with other invasive pests. If it starts spitting out babies your entire tank could be at risk?

Looks like a fairly straight forward saw cut. Your call, obviously.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is true( I can't tell from the pics/video) the best move would be to frag off that head and give it to someone you don;t like. My comment is made from experience with other invasive pests. If it starts spitting out babies your entire tank could be at risk?

Looks like a fairly straight forward saw cut. Your call, obviously.
I'm sorry, but the idea of giving someone a parasitized lobo is hilarious. I don't have a bandsaw, and the head is in the middle of the colony, so I'm thinking of just pulling it out with forceps.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but the idea of giving someone a parasitized lobo is hilarious. I don't have a bandsaw, and the head is in the middle of the colony, so I'm thinking of just pulling it out with forceps.
I don't have a proper saw either, but my lfs will usually help out if I ask.

I do use a dremel, or hack saw, and even a chisel & hammer to perform surgery and fragging of LPS skeleton, with reasonably good results. Removing with forceps may save the coral, but do something to rid the world of that lps menace asap! :cool: :smiling-face-with-halo:

I'm glad you got a chuckle out of my banter. I live by the code that laughter is the best medicine, with regards to the serious challenges we face in the hobby. Sometimes stopping to consider the best way forward, with a chuckle has helped me with many of my own challenges. eager for the day when the nervous laughter is not necessary.
Happy Moto GIF by YK Animation Studio

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a proper saw either, but my lfs will usually help out if I ask.

I do use a dremel, or hack saw, and even a chisel & hammer to perform surgery and fragging of LPS skeleton, with reasonably good results. Removing with forceps may save the coral, but do something to rid the world of that lps menace asap! :cool: :smiling-face-with-halo:

I'm glad you got a chuckle out of my banter. I live by the code that laughter is the best medicine, with regards to the serious challenges we face in the hobby. Sometimes stopping to consider the best way forward, with a chuckle has helped me with many of my own challenges. eager for the day when the nervous laughter is not necessary.
Happy Moto GIF by YK Animation Studio
I unfortunately think that polyp is dead either way, unfortunately I don't have any fragging equipment, and neither does my lfs (not the best situation to be in) and the infected head is still attached to its neighbor, so I'm worried that will do more harm than good. Any way to be sure I kill this thing?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, with your belief that the head is already toast it would seem that a butter knife and a hammer could be applied to the sick head to seperate it out of the middle of the others. I know it sounds drastic, but that is how many lps are chipped off the wild reefs. The key to lps skeleton is that they tend to split in a more or less straight line when a knife or chisel or dremmel, hack saw, I've even used a flat screw driver blade to pop off the dying parts.

If you leave it there the clam will finish off that head and then perhaps move to the next one? Sorry for the situation. I'd split it into 3 pieces, toss the middle for you if I was anywhere near Falmouth. That's all I have got for you. Sorry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back