Wild coral ID help!

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I help out with benthic surveys at my university in southwest Florida and we are having a very difficult time identifying this coral. We know the one on the left hand side is scolymia lacera however we can’t identify the other LPS in the photo anyone have any ideas?? This photo was taken 25 miles off shore of naples Florida in the Gulf of Mexico in about 65-70 feet of water
IMG_4318.jpeg

OP
OP
mryan04290

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards goniastrea.
It’s almost like a weird mutation between a scoly and a Favia or we found a new species! Gonistrea might be too small of polyps our leading guess was mussa angulosa but we don’t know for sure this particular coral was fairly large in diameter and the scoly next to it was about 3-4 inches across

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm my guess is any one of the following:

Manicina areolata

Isophyllia sinuosa (doubtful but maybe)

Honestly not sure though. @vetteguy53081 any thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone I help out with benthic surveys at my university in southwest Florida and we are having a very difficult time identifying this coral. We know the one on the left hand side is scolymia lacera however we can’t identify the other LPS in the photo anyone have any ideas?? This photo was taken 25 miles off shore of naples Florida in the Gulf of Mexico in about 65-70 feet of water
IMG_4318.jpeg
Looks like micromussa or enchinata coral. Other possibility is bowerbanki coral but enchinata is the likely one.

OP
OP
mryan04290

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm my guess is any one of the following:

Manicina areolata

Isophyllia sinuosa (doubtful but maybe)
Isophyllia sinuosa is the current best guess we have from people on INaturalist however i don’t think the polyp size and shape quite match

fangelillo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4318.jpeg
I live in Naples too!! I always wondered what was type of coral we had.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards goniastrea.
Looks like micromussa or enchinata coral. Other possibility is bowerbanki coral but enchinata is the likely one.
Goniastrea, Micromussa, Acanthastrea (echinata), and Homophyllia bowerbanki don’t occur in the Atlantic.

IMG_4318.jpeg
The coral is most likely Isophyllia rigida

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Goniastrea, Micromussa, Acanthastrea (echinata), and Homophyllia bowerbanki don’t occur in the Atlantic.

The coral is most likely Isophyllia rigida
Im not sold on Rigida but its darn close. What I listed is not atlantic - correct and rules them out.
I went diving a little over a week ago in both Miami and the keys and saw quite a few different coral species but not this one. Hmmmm.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sold on Rigida but its darn close. What I listed is not atlantic - correct and rules them out.
I went diving a little over a week ago in both Miami and the keys and saw quite a few different coral species but not this one. Hmmmm.
The reason it's not solid is because the coral is inflated.

Mussa angulosa
Mussa angulosa is phaceloid/flabello-meandroid while this coral is sub-meandroid so that wouldn't be it.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at that in your picture, and was on the fence whether the polyps were inflated and the edges touching. If I look close I can see lines between the polyps. The polyp to the right is splitting
I am no expert and guessing
Try this one
Isophyllastrea rigida

OP
OP
mryan04290

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dive for a university for research so we tend to dive places that haven’t been studied as much and this particular site is only known by about 5 people and never been surveyed before but we have seen all sorts of strange things here like Zoas at 75 feet

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The reason it's not solid is because the coral is inflated.

Mussa angulosa is phaceloid/flabello-meandroid while this coral is sub-meandroid so that wouldn't be it.

I dive for a university for research so we tend to dive places that haven’t been studied as much and this particular site is only known by about 5 people and never been surveyed before but we have seen all sorts of strange things here like Zoas at 75 feet
I just mentioned diving there myself and saw unusual stuff but great to hear confirmation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back