Wild Sps Colony Success

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of yall had success in keeping wild sps colonies? I bought about 7/8 colonies from a lfs a couple of months ago. Only 3 survive. After the color comes back and everything is going good, do you make up a name for that wild colony so you can sell frags? And how low did or would you start the asking price?

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the ones I have purchased that were maricultured (grown in wild) have survived. However, they lose their color and shift.. unfortunately a good amount stay at a dull purplish color without much of anything as for now, I am starting to see a bit of a green to one or two of the colonies. They are growing otherwise.

I havent fragged up wild colonies in order to sell nor am I really looking to do so. So I really can answer that part of your question.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collecting wild coral is illegal. You can not sell it and you can't name it. Stop doing this.

I'm sure he was just calling it wild collected when it was just maricultured. Not a lot of sps growing in NY : )

Pixievixi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a permit to collect. There are times of the year when it is ok to collect. I'm saying that if someone was trying to sell me wild coral I would turn them in if they did not have a permit or collecting license. Illegal trade is a problem in this trade. All my species come from reliable and sustainable sources. There are only 3% pristine reefs in the Maldives left. I would make sure those people selling wild corals to you are creditable. After your colony grows you can frag. I would just be careful.

OP
OP
brick-brothers

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a permit to collect. There are times of the year when it is ok to collect. I'm saying that if someone was trying to sell me wild coral I would turn them in if they did not have a permit or collecting license. Illegal trade is a problem in this trade. All my species come from reliable and sustainable sources. There are only 3% pristine reefs in the Maldives left. I would make sure those people selling wild corals to you are creditable. After your colony grows you can frag. I would just be careful.

gotcha, so now that thats cleared up. Do you or did you own maricultured corals and had success with it?

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a box of 4 wild collected colonies. 2 are great, one is not happy, one rtn'd. I think thats pretty common across the hobby with numbers. that being said the 2 colonies doing well are gorgeous.

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had "wild caught" maricultured coral before and they lasted about 6 months then rtn'd and died while some aquacultured sps thrived and I still have them after 2 years. It's a roll of the dice with maricultured especially if its 1st generation, IMO. My local lfs doesn't get them in much anymore because the die off is too much but I would say dip routinely at first just to be safe. I had a 1st gen montipora that had great color and grew super fast, then suddenly rtn'd and died. When I took it out a gorilla crab popped out. He had survived the original dipping and had carved a home in the center of the coral and killed it. You just never know what will come with a wild grown coral.

As far as fragging them up and naming them...this is a funny subject for me. IMO, the popular thought around this is only named corals come from the big names in the coral trade. I say ******** to this. I see so many "named" pieces show up elsewhere with no name...ex: divers den posts a ton of maricultured colonies titled only with their growth characteristics that are posted elsewhere on the web with some goofy name for 3 times the price. There might be a few rare color morphs out there that people want to charge $1500 for a 1/4" frag for but I say they can have it. Like any hobby or industry there is always a niche carved out for the "ultra high end rare whatchamacallit" that people like to buy into just to say they bought it. If you want to frag up your coral and give it a cool name like Captain Americas Star Spangled Underpants then have at it. That's the beauty of a free market in a free country. "Murica!

Last edited:

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a box of 4 wild collected colonies. 2 are great, one is not happy, one rtn'd. I think thats pretty common across the hobby with numbers. that being said the 2 colonies doing well are gorgeous.

+1 on this ratio. This is probably what you can expect across the board.

OP
OP
brick-brothers

brick-brothers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my 3 wild colonies

Attachments

• sps1.jpg
    sps1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 494
  • sps2.jpg
    sps2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 481
  • sps3.jpg
    sps3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 522

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up 5 bali maricultures. I haven't picked up a mariculture in a while, and I wanted to see if they fair better then in the past. I have pics of them post bayer dip, but that is all so far.

20150107_200117.jpg

Greg79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you transfer wild colony to your tank where levels are not close to natural seawater levels don't expect they gonna look great and all survived
Especially after shipping stress and dipping... Just my 5cents

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back