Wild Sps Colony Success

Pixievixi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since everyone wants to laugh at my concern about wild populations of coral and how they are disappearing from the ocean, maybe you can educate me as to why collecting wild is ok.
I thought reefers cared about the ocean.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since everyone wants to laugh at my concern about wild populations of coral and how they are disappearing from the ocean, maybe you can educate me as to why collecting wild is ok.

All the coral was collected from the wild at one point in time. Collecting in my opinion is fine, and most of it is maricultured nowadays, which means they only remove a small potion of the coral and grow it out in a nearby lagoon or shallow reef before shipping it.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I simply laughed because you said it is illegal, it is in certain areas. But not where these and all other colonies come from

Pixievixi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think someone should have corrected me instead of making me feel like an idiot and laugh. I realize corals come from the ocean at one point or another. I don't like the statement, " I bought 9 wild frags because 4 will die. What should I name them and how do I frag them."
I'm in school to be an environmental scientist. That did not sound right to me.

Pixievixi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People go to forums to learn about the hobby. People go to forums to educate others and share knowledge. I can go to what ever reef forum I wish. Conservation is a passion of mine as it should be anyone else who loves reefing.

Pixievixi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To brick brother-
in your original post, the acronym lfs is so tiny I didn't see it. I thought it was a period.
I thought you bought wild caught frags, not from a fish store. That's were my confusion came from. Any one else who's rude on here can kiss my butt.
I will always stand up for conservation!
sorry for the miss understanding. Your the only one who deserves any apology.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maricultured sps. So far so good for about 6 weeks. I was told to drag it and grow from the drag as it has a better chance of surviving long term. I plan on making 3 frags to give to a couple friends just in case something happens I can get it back later down the road.
Here is a pic from the side 10k lighting

And here is from the top down 10k lighting

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collecting wild coral is illegal. You can not sell it and you can't name it. Stop doing this.

Actually not all wild coral is illegal to collect. In Florida you can not get hard corals but ricordia and may others are legal. Different states allow different types such. As Hawaii. Not sure about CA laws. But maybe for you it is.

I prefer to buy aqua cultured myself as well as trade.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually not all wild coral is illegal to collect. In Florida you can not get hard corals but ricordia and may others are legal. Different states allow different types such. As Hawaii. Not sure about CA laws. But maybe for you it is.

I prefer to buy aqua cultured myself as well as trade.

if i am correct. florida recorida is illegal to collect in certain areas. also semi hard to obtain a license to collect them, due to collectors over collecting. i read that somewhere dont remember where.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the keys there is a huge area were everything is forbidden. But up the west coast is perfectly legal. I'll put up the regulations tomorrow.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly everything I keep now a days is wild or maricultured. A few frags of stuff from reefers just to even out the color in the tank and get a few I don't see coming in from reefs much at all.
In my experience it isn't much of a risk buying wild corals. As long as you can look at the coral and understand if its stressed or healthy. I don't go to a store and buy corals if the skin is thin, bleaching, or extra bright and or pale. Knowing the signs of a stressed coral is key to success buying wilds. Also having a qt tank is a big one, I find it easier to keep new wilds in a qt area to watch them, if a spot starts to stn or rtn I either glue over it or cut the colony into frags. I will not buy a coral that is bleached or showing signs of bleaching.
A handful of maricultured corals die on each shipment, I either pick the healthy ones as soon as they come in (preferred before they hit a LFS system) or after they have been in the LFS system and already changed color or hue. Buying after the color shift gives me assurance that the coral will have a MUCH better time living and adjusting to my tank.
Naming wild corals is a good way to keep track of who has what and follow your coral in others tanks. Personally I do not name any of my corals until it has grown into a colony and been fragged a few times. Once a few people have it and it holds good color and growth in others tanks I will think about naming the coral. I only do this with the unique or more rare corals I have grown. I won't name a tricolor, red digi, purple tip nana or anything that is a common coral. I only name something to track who has what. It does make it easier for me to sell some frags of stuff that I am not sure of the species.
Naming a fresh wild coral that hasn't adapted to aquarium life because it looks cool when it first comes in I will leave up to certain stores and sellers. (Not taking any shots with that statement) A lot of corals have crazy colors when they first get here but a high percentage change color and will not stay like that. A lot of them will keep amazing colors though, especially if you understand what coral does best under what light and tank conditions.

I bought a brown maricultured over a month ago and today its purple with pink polyps :). That's why I love wild corals. If you know how to pick them and keep them its not much of a crapshoot, but it takes time and a few errors to learn how.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 116 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back