Wild Turkey Tropic Marin Salt.

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just booted up my new 200 and on day 4 of the cycle I decided to text more than ammonia nitrite and salinity.

DKH is at .9

Magnesium and Calcium are all completely off the rails as well. The company I had set the tank up and plumb it brought in 240 gallons of RO water and we mixed the salt in the tank.

The salt mixed salinity to spec per norms. But that was it!

What should I do?

50% water change and then just slowly get it back to normal ranges thru water changes or just drain it and start over?

I’m going to be switching to instant ocean salt.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the test kit / process is off.

I think it's nearly impossible for saltwater from a mix to have less than 1 dKH.

I would test once again with a different kit. What is the pH?

OP
OP
takoarm8

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then used the same test kit to measure my original tank and the original tank is where it should be

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just booted up my new 200 and on day 4 of the cycle I decided to text more than ammonia nitrite and salinity.

DKH is at .9

Magnesium and Calcium are all completely off the rails as well. The company I had set the tank up and plumb it brought in 240 gallons of RO water and we mixed the salt in the tank.

The salt mixed salinity to spec per norms. But that was it!

What should I do?

50% water change and then just slowly get it back to normal ranges thru water changes or just drain it and start over?

I’m going to be switching to instant ocean salt.
I would start with taking a water sample to a trusted LFS and see what readings they come up with. If true, yes on water change and also calibrate your testers to assure you are not removing good water

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna
And
Tropic Marin pro

Whelp below are the parameters the salt reports by the manufacture. I'm not clear on what you are saying the parameters are. But you can make a gallon up using the guidelines below and remove the tank, and company who brought in the water. That is assuming your testing properly and the kits are not expired.

1691619956637.png

OP
OP
takoarm8

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp below are the parameters the salt reports by the manufacture. I'm not clear on what you are saying the parameters are. But you can make a gallon up using the guidelines below and remove the tank, and company who brought in the water. That is assuming your testing properly and the kits are not expired.

1691619956637.png
Used two different Hana test kits. I’ll take a sample into LFS as well.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct salinity would indicate that parameters are ok an unlikely have 0.9alk and

Magnesium and Calcium are all completely off the rails as well.

All of these contribute to salinity.

Mix one gallon or one L of new salt mix and re-test. Try different test kits (different manufacturer), Hanna can have its issues.

Also before any drastic water changes contact TM for support.

Good luck,

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What were the actual numbers for everything? “Off the rails” doesn’t help anyone help you.

How much salt was added and how much water?

Story doesn’t add up at all here. Missing way too many facts. .9dkh is impossible. Assuming you added close to 240 gallons of water, you should have used almost 2 full buckets of salt.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing numbers, this feels like too little salt was added.

TM salt can settle and you really do need to dry mix it, but in this case where more than a whole bucket needed to be used, this should not have been too big of a deal.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back