Will a lone female become gravid?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaltBabies
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SaltBabies

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2015
Messages
232
Reaction score
289
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the answer to this is no.

I have a gravid yasha. As far as I know the only other fish in the tank is a tangaroa. A long time ago there was a pair of Yasha’s but I haven’t seen two in months and months.

so either one has hid really well or there maybe inter species breeding.

mod course I guess she could be sick and that could be the reason for the big belly.
 
I had a single clown fish - that has been the only clown fish in the tank for years - make a bare spot on the bottom glass and lay eggs. Blew my mind.
 
Yes, fertilization is external. Female can lay eggs with or without male, it's just not as common without a male.
 
Yes, fertilization is external. Female can lay eggs with or without male, it's just not as common without a male.
Yep, That was my thought. Usually they don't go gravid without a mate. I'm wondering the my male did go missing a long time ago and is great at hiding. Or if I'm have some interspecies breeding with the tangaroa who just recently is gone missing from his side of the tank. I think he might now be in her hole?

wishful thinking I"m sure. Only time will tell.

I was just about to move them into a bigger tank with my seahorses but now I'm not sure.
 
I had a single clown fish - that has been the only clown fish in the tank for years - make a bare spot on the bottom glass and lay eggs. Blew my mind.
Well I really am hoping that she's paired up with a hidden male or the tangaroa in there. But yeah maybe she's just gravid.

I was fairly sure the male died a while back but maybe he's just hiding.

It's hard to see into this tank. It got sick and went algae wild. So I kept feeding the fish that survived but haven't cleaned it up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new