Will a lone female become gravid?

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the answer to this is no.

I have a gravid yasha. As far as I know the only other fish in the tank is a tangaroa. A long time ago there was a pair of Yasha’s but I haven’t seen two in months and months.

so either one has hid really well or there maybe inter species breeding.

mod course I guess she could be sick and that could be the reason for the big belly.

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had a single clown fish - that has been the only clown fish in the tank for years - make a bare spot on the bottom glass and lay eggs. Blew my mind.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, fertilization is external. Female can lay eggs with or without male, it's just not as common without a male.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, fertilization is external. Female can lay eggs with or without male, it's just not as common without a male.
Yep, That was my thought. Usually they don't go gravid without a mate. I'm wondering the my male did go missing a long time ago and is great at hiding. Or if I'm have some interspecies breeding with the tangaroa who just recently is gone missing from his side of the tank. I think he might now be in her hole?

wishful thinking I"m sure. Only time will tell.

I was just about to move them into a bigger tank with my seahorses but now I'm not sure.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a single clown fish - that has been the only clown fish in the tank for years - make a bare spot on the bottom glass and lay eggs. Blew my mind.
Well I really am hoping that she's paired up with a hidden male or the tangaroa in there. But yeah maybe she's just gravid.

I was fairly sure the male died a while back but maybe he's just hiding.

It's hard to see into this tank. It got sick and went algae wild. So I kept feeding the fish that survived but haven't cleaned it up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back