Will acropora grow as well in frag tank than display

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wondering if an acropora grown out in a frag tank will grow just as well and colourful as it would if attached to live rock in display? I'm assuming yes?

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The proper answer isn’t “will” but “can,” and absolutely it can, provided the same or very similar -ideal- conditions. Essentially it doesn’t matter at all whether it’s a display tank or raceway or frag tank..etc. it’s about the conditions involving the entire ecosystem; be it chemistry, nutrients, flow, proper light, and the combination of all of these. Cliche as it is, There is more more than one way to skin a cat.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The proper answer isn’t “will” but “can,” and absolutely it can, provided the same or very similar -ideal- conditions. Essentially it doesn’t matter at all whether it’s a display tank or raceway or frag tank..etc. it’s about the conditions involving the entire ecosystem; be it chemistry, nutrients, flow, proper light, and the combination of all of these. Cliche as it is, There is more more than one way to skin a cat.
Agreed.
Just remember, the corals will react to different flow patterns, light spectrums and intensity. Usually frag systems are shallow which will give them MUCH more light than in your tank.
Are you inquiring about another persons frag system or one that is plumbed in with your main display?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said. :)

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One that is plumbed into my main system. I have a small frag tank now but it full so want to build a bigger one. What I have been doing is buying coral and putting it into the frag tank to see what it looks like. If I like it I'll put it in the main tank. The ones I got in there have been in there a few weeks. Colours changing by the week.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what has been said above. Many times a frag system can grow corals just as good or better than a display. NO fish, NO feedings you can really dial in your nutrients and params on a grow out system IMO. About 6 or 7 years ago I had a 300 grow out system for wild and mari that grew corals way better than any display I've ever owed. Only downside was you could only view the corals from above.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I do is instead of using a refugium as I struggle to keep chaeto alive due to me not having enough nutrients. I make a section a frag section. So from my old build I took the two kessils I had and threw them in the sump. I know these lights can grow coral so I just set them to run on and off and Just put frags down there. I know the parameters are the same as the main display as well as same nutrients. Only thing thats different is flow and lighting. Works good for me.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag tank plumbed into my main display and I believe some of my corals in the frag tank look better than the display tank. Plumbing in another tank helps increases the stability of both tanks. The only downside really is if the tanks start to do poorly you don't have a back up tank to place corals.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank Guys, it was literally a thought that came into my head when walking the dog so i thought id ask:)
Here is a pic of my current set up. Display in on the back burner for now, just going to let whats in there do its thing. I'm thinking new frag tank will be 3x2x1. Lighting will be Giesemann Stellar Hybrid so i can use light i have now. Also going to get a 8x39w Sunpower for main display(bday pressy from mrs), My SB's are going a good job but i want full coverage as im getting quite a bit of shadowing now so some corals are brownish on 1 side and sweet on the other.
DSC03113.JPG
DSC03116.JPG

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag tank plumbed into my main display and I believe some of my corals in the frag tank look better than the display tank. Plumbing in another tank helps increases the stability of both tanks. The only downside really is if the tanks start to do poorly you don't have a back up tank to place corals.
I was thinking the same thing so what i did was plumb frag in a way i can undo a union and add new one that drains down so i can add a storage container sump if needed. Hopefully wont need to do this though ;Blackeye

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back