Will Ca go back into solution?

spirou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I'm setting up my new 200 DT. Got about 100 gallons of RODI in there, decided to turn on the four MP40s to make two gyre flows on either side of the tank's trapezoid overflow and add salt. I think I may have added salt too fast, as the water is extremely cloudy. Water temp was about 78 (not heated) and salt was RS Coral Pro. Tank is 30" front to back - and I can't see the back wall at all.

If Ca precipitated out, will it go back into solution as I continue adding RODI to fill the DT?
Could the water be this cloudy from something other than Ca precipitating?

Thanks!

obelisk29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you added all the salt you needed to the tank without the water volume needed to dissolve it. If that's the case then there is a good chance it precipitated especially with an elevated levels salt like coral pro. If you didn't it's just still dissolving then.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If as @obelisk29 mentioned, you added all or most of the salt for a 200 gallon tank in 100 gallons of water, you most likely precipitated calcium carbonate. If that is the case, at the pH of our tanks, it will not go back into solution.

If you have been adding salt to the proper amount of water, then just give it time (overnight) and it should go into solution.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is just happening today (now), what until tomorrow and see what you have.

I know you stated you didn't heat the water, and it's counter intuitive, but aquarium salts prefer cooler waters to speed dissolution. Once dissolved, you heat to temperature to add to your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back