WIll Carbon remove fluconozole?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I'm hoping that it will actually remove it. I have had it going in my tank for 5 weeks. A little too long. My chaeto appears to be dying off. I knew that was a risk. It's still green, though. Hammer is not looking so great this last week. I need to remove it right now and 30-40% water change.
WIll carbon take it mostly out? And should the chaeto start growing again? I'm surprised I dont have a lot of other nuiscance algae growing resistant to fluc since I have much less export without growing chaeto. Higher nutrients now can be why the hammer is not looking great though.

Christmas eve tank maintenance :-D
TY!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole has been shown to be rather persistent to wastewater treatment. While carbon will aid in removal, it will not remove any that has been absorbed by any protozoa or bacteria in the water column. I have always removed through dilution, starting with a large 50% water change. Then a week later 25% and repeat a week later.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!. I'd actually do a 50+ % right now. I have never had issues doing near 100% when I had to before. This time though I have a ritteri perched on top of my overflow, so it hangs 'dry' with a large waterchange. Last bigger one of 50% it was pulling off the overflow some. and took about two weeks to return to it's normal shape and size.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the chaeto? will it come back? I'm still wondering where all the nutrients are going other than my small bloom of cyno.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the chaeto? will it come back? I'm still wondering where all the nutrients are going other than my small bloom of cyno.
Chaeto should, but wont hurt to trim off any areas that look worse for wear. There are so many sinks in a tank, that its impossible to know where the nutrients are hiding. I had the same result of getting cyano afterwards.

Keep an eye on NO3 and PO4 for the next couple months. I wouldn’t rush to fix one or the other right after treatment. but if keep getting a zero may need to up import a touch as tank adjusts back to normal.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto should, but wont hurt to trim off any areas that look worse for wear. There are so many sinks in a tank, that its impossible to know where the nutrients are hiding. I had the same result of getting cyano afterwards.

Keep an eye on NO3 and PO4 for the next couple months. I wouldn’t rush to fix one or the other right after treatment. but if keep getting a zero may need to up import a touch as tank adjusts back to normal.
TY. I wont rush anything. I'll do the water changes (finally doing the 35% one today). Change carbon. Two more 30% changes weekly. trim up the chaeto.

Back