Will cleaner gobies be predated?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting a cleaner animal to service my fish, either a bunch of cleaner shrimps or a cleaner goby. The goby seems to be a silly animal that is interesting to watch, but I'm not sure if predators will avoid eating the goby, as they do cleaner wrasses and shrimp. Primarily looking at eels, but also predatory wrasses and small basslets. If they won't work I'll settle for shrimp.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting a cleaner animal to service my fish, either a bunch of cleaner shrimps or a cleaner goby. The goby seems to be a silly animal that is interesting to watch, but I'm not sure if predators will avoid eating the goby, as they do cleaner wrasses and shrimp. Primarily looking at eels, but also predatory wrasses and small basslets. If they won't work I'll settle for shrimp.
Anything that cleans is at risk of predation from predators. Cleaner Wrasses are not an exception and neither are Cleaner Gobies. It’s uncommon for predators to prey on Cleaning fish/inverts however it’s not impossible.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that cleans is at risk of predation from predators. Cleaner Wrasses are not an exception and neither are Cleaner Gobies. It’s uncommon for predators to prey on Cleaning fish/inverts however it’s not impossible.
I'm not expecting them to remain invincible in the tank forever, but simply stay alive long enough to service all my fish. The eel may not be the last fish to enter the tank.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also, related question, will coral banded shrimp also commonly clean fish or am I better off with an amboinensis? Banded shrimps are much cheaper and look much nicer.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also, related question, will coral banded shrimp also commonly clean fish or am I better off with an amboinensis? Banded shrimps are much cheaper and look much nicer.
The Banded Shrimp will not willingly clean fish, they are mainly going to defend their habitat IME. The cleaners are the shrimp that will clean the fish willingly.
I'm not expecting them to remain invincible in the tank forever, but simply stay alive long enough to service all my fish. The eel may not be the last fish to enter the tank.
What do you mean by ‘service’? Your fish will likely be cleaned 3-4x a month at a minimum. These are animals that only clean for their whole life. Gobies have a lifespan of 3-5 years and Wrasses have a lifespan of 7 years (although generally 3-5 years for most).

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Banded Shrimp will not willingly clean fish, they are mainly going to defend their habitat IME. The cleaners are the shrimp that will clean the fish willingly.

What do you mean by ‘service’? Your fish will likely be cleaned 3-4x a month at a minimum. These are animals that only clean for their whole life. Gobies have a lifespan of 3-5 years and Wrasses have a lifespan of 7 years (although generally 3-5 years for most).
Service as in just cleaning off the fish for a few weeks after I introduce them, in case they bring in any external parasites that didn't fall off or develop into disease during quarantine. Guess I'm sticking to cleaner shrimp then, had good experience with them and one saved my old foxface from ich.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Service as in just cleaning off the fish for a few weeks after I introduce them, in case they bring in any external parasites that didn't fall off or develop into disease during quarantine. Guess I'm sticking to cleaner shrimp then, had good experience with them and one saved my old foxface from ich.
Honestly, this is a bad idea. Your tank could have parasites in it and if you plan to introduce coral, parasites will likely get in.
Your plan is alright but if you get a fish, don’t expect it to live for only a few weeks then pass on. I mean, when a predator will go for their cleaner buddy is unknown, it could be the same day or it could be within a few months.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, this is a bad idea. Your tank could have parasites in it and if you plan to introduce coral, parasites will likely get in.
Your plan is alright but if you get a fish, don’t expect it to live for only a few weeks then pass on. I mean, when a predator will go for their cleaner buddy is unknown, it could be the same day or it could be within a few months.
Longer it lives the better, but I'm not expecting it to stay permanently. I'm expecting whatever parasites my tank may have to have either infected my current fish already, which I should know, or to infect fish within a few days of introduction. There haven't been any fish in there other than my damsel for months now and I'll be quite surprised if something pops up.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longer it lives the better, but I'm not expecting it to stay permanently. I'm expecting whatever parasites my tank may have to have either infected my current fish already, which I should know, or to infect fish within a few days of introduction. There haven't been any fish in there other than my damsel for months now and I'll be quite surprised if something pops up.
Parasites can show up even after a few days of introduction, a weakened fish is going to be prone to disease, a strong fish that’s simply hiding and getting used to the tank is unlikely to be showing disease.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parasites can show up even after a few days of introduction, a weakened fish is going to be prone to disease, a strong fish that’s simply hiding and getting used to the tank is unlikely to be showing disease.
I mean, the other approach if dormant parasites do remain in the tank is to have medication on hand... and it doesn't hurt to have both.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back