Will File Fish Learn to eat Aiptasia?

colejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small, little over an inch, File Fish about 10 days ago. He has acclimated well and cruises all over my 32 gal Biocube.
So far he hasn't paid any attention to the dozens of Aiptasia in my tank. Is there a reasonable chance that he will develop a taste for them still?

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard smaller ones will tend to learn better than larger ones that have been used to eating regular food. I have had some that went to eating it right away, some that kinda started to here and there but not a real impact and some that never. I will say that my big tank was to much flow for most file fish so i got a Klien butterfly... best thing ever!

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small one 6 or 7 months ago and have never seen it touch my aptasia. I usually only have 1 or 2 in my tank at a time and have purposely let them stay in there for a couple weeks waiting for the filefish to eat it and it never does so I eventually break out the aptasia-x and do it myself. I'd get rid of the fish if it weren't so neat looking still, lol.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not see any aptasia in my tank now since getting my file fish 7 weeks ago.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It took a couple months before I noticed any progress with the matted filefish I added to my 240. But he could have been going after the hidden ones before I noticed any of the ones up front missing. Plus I never saw him actually going after any.

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Klein Butterfly destroyed my aiptasia outbreak within a matter of a week. And I love this fish. Problem is now he is destroying all my coral. Huge Xenia garden now looks like a pile of cauliflower and he's working on his second duncan. I love him - but I think he has to go.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mfinn @KStatefan
I am worried about a matted filefish not being able to handle the flow due to my 4 mp40’s cranked at 100% in my 180 gallon tank. Is my concern warranted?

AV corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, my file fish started eating aptasia weeks after I bought him.. It wasn't right away. Also, when he did start to eat aptasia, it wasn't the big ones, he favored the really tiny aptasia. Mind you this file fish is approx. 3 1/2inch. I still see big aptasia but those I just put some f-aptasia paste over.. it's a team effort at this point.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@mfinn @KStatefan
I am worried about a matted filefish not being able to handle the flow due to my 4 mp40’s cranked at 100% in my 180 gallon tank. Is my concern warranted?
That could be a issue. They don't seem to be the most efficient swimmers.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Klein Butterfly destroyed my aiptasia outbreak within a matter of a week. And I love this fish. Problem is now he is destroying all my coral. Huge Xenia garden now looks like a pile of cauliflower and he's working on his second duncan. I love him - but I think he has to go.
Thanks for this, my interest in the Klein was raised and quashed in the same thread!!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a long term CB file escape and it was a heartbreak. had NO aptasia visual I the display, but plenty in the overflow

Within two weeks started seeing small aptasia in the display, so bought a couple of Peppermint shrimp while I get the just added new (and tiny) file up to speed

Do believe the old one was doing his job, mostly around dusk and dawn

s_tooz_123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen either of my two filefish eat any aiptasia. Mine were about an inch long when purchased. After a few weeks with the filefish, no change in aiptasia population so I resorted to using a homemade majano wand to rid the tank of aiptasia.

In the past 2 weeks, I have caught one of the filefish nipping on a frogspawn and a kenya tree, so keep that in mind.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there was some time delay before i started noticing them disappearing.... and then more delay for them to grow back. In my tank i think to get the desired result means keeping the tank a little hungry as it'd much rather have offered foods than aiptasia.
Also, as others have mentioned, its likely certain LPS corals are also going to perish.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen either of my two filefish eat any aiptasia. Mine were about an inch long when purchased. After a few weeks with the filefish, no change in aiptasia population so I resorted to using a homemade majano wand to rid the tank of aiptasia.

In the past 2 weeks, I have caught one of the filefish nipping on a frogspawn and a kenya tree, so keep that in mind.
Mind sharing directions on the homemade mojano wand?

ETA- NM I just googled it and directions are readily available online.

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to take him. My tank is mostly SPS

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this, my interest in the Klein was raised and quashed in the same thread!!
Its such a bummer because I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of Aiptasia and this fish is amazing at eating them all. But then he starts eating coral. He's beautiful and I love him. The Aiptasia will come back when he leaves so its a matter of do I want coral or fish?

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I WOULD LOVE to find someone to take him! I have him (Sadly) in a very small tank waiting to go back to the LFS. He is a beautiful fish and great personality. Big blue head band.
Sounds like the perfect fish for me. Eats xenia, eats aiptasia, eats Duncan's. I have aiptasia here and there but xenia and Duncan's I could keep him fed for a long time. Lol

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never witnessed my filefish eating aiptasia, however, when I removed it the aiptasia really starting exploding. Looks like it was doing plenty of work that I never noticed; tempted to get another one.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back