Will fish fight for cave space?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to keep a fair few fish that may occupy caves for extended periods of time(my reef light is god danged bright). Have anyone had experience with fishes fighting for cave space? My engineer goby is helping upscale the caves a bit, but I'm not sure still how many fish it can hold. I've not found any reports for cave competition occuring definitively, so I'm clueless on this regard. Territorial fish will still be territorial fish, but I'm excluding that as a factor as I cannot keep fish known to be highly aggressive anyways.

Thinking of a squirrelfish, a sand - sleeping wrasse, and maybe an eel, and I already have the engineer goby. I'm not sure if cardinals like caves but I'll have those too.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to keep a fair few fish that may occupy caves for extended periods of time(my reef light is god danged bright). Have anyone had experience with fishes fighting for cave space? My engineer goby is helping upscale the caves a bit, but I'm not sure still how many fish it can hold. I've not found any reports for cave competition occuring definitively, so I'm clueless on this regard. Territorial fish will still be territorial fish, but I'm excluding that as a factor as I cannot keep fish known to be highly aggressive anyways.

Thinking of a squirrelfish, a sand - sleeping wrasse, and maybe an eel, and I already have the engineer goby. I'm not sure if cardinals like caves but I'll have those too.
Yes, they might squabble over territory until everyone gets settled

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? assume you are stocking your tank according to the available space and rockwork, there should not be fighting if the tank is not overstocked....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back