Will frags encrust over algae?

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got some frags in plugs in QT. The plugs came in with some light brown hair algae (just description, idk the specific algae) on them that seems to be growing, albeit slowly. The algae comes right up to the frag. Will this stop the encrusting process or will the frags just encrust right over the algae?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've got some frags in plugs in QT. The plugs came in with some light brown hair algae (just description, idk the specific algae) on them that seems to be growing, albeit slowly. The algae comes right up to the frag. Will this stop the encrusting process or will the frags just encrust right over the algae?
Yes if the coral is healthy, you should eventually see them push out there filaments and devour the algae before the coral encrusts. That goes for coralline algae as well. I'll spend some time looking for photos, I'm sure I'll have a reference on my build thread

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if the coral is healthy, you should eventually see them push out there filaments and devour the algae before the coral encrusts. That goes for coralline algae as well. I'll spend some time looking for photos, I'm sure I'll have a reference on my build thread
Are your referring to messenterials? Those are for digesting other corals not necessarily algae.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have never really seen it happen. When this happens the coral seems to grow around the algae but never really grows over it.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will kill back coralline and grow over, but hair algae.. less likely. Really depends on overall health of that particular piece imo.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Are your referring to messenterials? Those are for digesting other corals not necessarily algae.
Yes, at night the acros I have that are still encrusting are doing this, here's some photos off my build thread. The filaments aren't out in this photos but at night is when I see this phenomenon
20180909_172201.png
20180909_172224.png
you can see the algae die off, the filaments will engulf the algae, eventually killing it off so the coral can encrust.

Stratos295prelt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, at night the acros I have that are still encrusting are doing this, here's some photos off my build thread. The filaments aren't out in this photos but at night is when I see this phenomenon
20180909_172201.png
20180909_172224.png
you can see the algae die off, the filaments will engulf the algae, eventually killing it off so the coral can encrust.
I see this also, I see the coraline appear to die off just ahead of the new growth, very good pics

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can usually tell when a coral is about to have a growth spurt because you'll notice a white ring around where they are about to grow. It's chemical warfare in our tanks. This is one of things I find most fascinating about these corals. This is also one of the many things that makes corals so interesting to researchers as well because of the potential things we could learn from how they do what they do. Drugs for fighting cancer for instance, not hard to imagine that they are capable of producing chemicals capable of killing other cells, maybe even cancer cells.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, thanks for all the responses!

20180909_172201.png
20180909_172224.png

That's crazy!!! Definitely awesome photos! Learn something new every day.

Yes, you can usually tell when a coral is about to have a growth spurt because you'll notice a white ring around where they are about to grow. It's chemical warfare in our tanks. This is one of things I find most fascinating about these corals. This is also one of the many things that makes corals so interesting to researchers as well because of the potential things we could learn from how they do what they do. Drugs for fighting cancer for instance, not hard to imagine that they are capable of producing chemicals capable of killing other cells, maybe even cancer cells.

Yea, I guess I've never thought about it to that extent. Good call on the white ring too! Thanks

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Never knew that acro messenterials were that strong. I would assume as long as the algae isn't diatomaceous or some sort of crazy invasive chlorophyte then the corals will win. You learn something new everyday

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a photo of mine, the Green Slimer. You can see the left side, the cut must've been slanted or something, but algae is in that area where the frag hasn't encrusted.

Very new delivery so still adjusting in QT. I think I'll cut it off the plug anyways but it just got me wondering. Also thinking I'll fill that with glue or something so maybe it'll encrust.

20180909_111246.jpg

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a garf bonsai encrusting now and it kills the algae and grows over it
Yep, the same thing happen to me. I had a Garf Bonsia frag break away from the plug but it had already started to encrust the rock the frag was on. Algae started to grow were the frag broke away from the plug and pretty soon there was a tuft of GHA surrounded by the encrusting Garf Bonsia, eventually the GHA was smothered by the encrusting Bonsia.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back