Will i overflow my sump?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike7744
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mike7744

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2021
Messages
403
Reaction score
183
Location
Wareham
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to clean my sand bed, but I don't want to do a waterchange. If I siphon the water from the display to the sump. Filter sock area to catch the dirt will I overflow my sump?
 
You can siphon your water through a sock into a bucket, and then just add the water back into your system.
 
I’ve done this before…and not overflowed anything. It may be wise to have a helper keep an eye on the sump to make sure.

You’ll have to start/stop several times to let your return pump catch up.
OK, great, thanks. I'm gonna give it a try.
 
I want to clean my sand bed, but I don't want to do a waterchange. If I siphon the water from the display to the sump. Filter sock area to catch the dirt will I overflow my sump?
If you siphon into sump you can potentially overflow if you dont pay attention i would siphon into a bucket through a rough sock and then through a finer sock.

Sometimes the rough filter will catch good snails and such.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new