Will Lymphocystis cause fish to scratch?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regal angelfish in QT. Been 9 days. Got him eating with selcon and zoecon. I did a freshwater dip initially with no fluke signs. Today I noticed him trying to scratch on a rock. He does have classic Lymphocystis on side fins and one spot closer to eye but not threatening it. Could the lympho cause the fish to scratch? Or should I be looking for other reasons. No other signs and no medications yet

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a regal angelfish in QT. Been 9 days. Got him eating with selcon and zoecon. I did a freshwater dip initially with no fluke signs. Today I noticed him trying to scratch on a rock. He does have classic Lymphocystis on side fins and one spot closer to eye but not threatening it. Could the lympho cause the fish to scratch? Or should I be looking for other reasons. No other signs and no medications yet

That might be from the lympho but I have not actually read it happening but it could very well be. Maybe the fish has some parasite that you can't see?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the angel scratching its body or gill area? Any head shaking? How's is its breathing?

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the angel scratching its body or gill area? Any head shaking? How's is its breathing?
Breathing is fine And very relaxed. Honestly, It looked like trying to scratch its face,I would say maybe the one Lymphocystis near its eye was what it was trying to itch but wasn’t sure. I guess this area you May say its gills as well but that is not how I interpreted it. It has only did it a couple times. He is not doing it consistently as I was just watching him and he didn’t do it while I was there this time.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wishing anything bad on you or your fish, but any fish that I've had with 'run of the mill' Lymphocystis never seemed to scratch it (flash).

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wishing anything bad on you or your fish, but any fish that I've had with 'run of the mill' Lymphocystis never seemed to scratch it (flash).
I hear ya. Searching all post and none indicate scratching. That is why I am asking. But I am hoping maybe the one spot near eye just might be bothering him too much. I will keep a close eye on him. I really didn’t want to start any meds yet until another week since only got him eating a couple days ago

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Just be mindful that a freshwater dip to check for flukes works mainly on flukes on the skin of the fish. Those other 2 common types of flukes that usually are within the gills or eyes are largely unaffected by the FW dip.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back