Will my Bubble Magnus Curve 5 ever stop overflowing?

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Red Reefer 170 for a month and a half now, it was finished cycling around 2 weeks ago. I’ve had the skimmer in since the cycle ended and it’s been overflowing ever since. I’ve read that it can take a while for this to stop but is longer than two weeks reasonable? Is there any way I can make it stop overflowing sooner? I’ve been doing water changes but it doesn’t really seem to help. Thanks for your help.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
raise the skimmer in the sump. The water level maybe too high for the skimmer.
I have my skimmer sitting on a eggcrate table which brings the water level to 7-8"

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my skimmer sitting on a eggcrate table which brings the water level to 7-8"
+1
My BM curve 5 elite sits in 8" of water.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your collection cup has a drain hole, perhaps you can use the skimmer to perform wet-skim water changes? If there is something in the water that is causing this problem then wet skimming is a good way to remove that more efficiently.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I just followed your advice by putting a Tupperware container underneath it and now I’m able to manage the bubbles without any problem. Do you think eventually I’ll be able to remove the Tupperware once the skimmer adjusts or will I need to leave this in permanently? Thanks so much for your help.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your collection cup has a drain hole, perhaps you can use the skimmer to perform wet-skim water changes? If there is something in the water that is causing this problem then wet skimming is a good way to remove that more efficiently.
Ok yes it does have a drain hole so I can try this. I’m going to give it a few days raised up to see if the bubbles start to subside a bit, if not I’ll try this method as well. Thank you.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I believe the reccomended water level is too deep for these.
Mine works perfectly well sitting in 5-7" of water.
Good, efficient skimmer for compact size.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine works well in 10" of water for my 120g and has for 3 years now.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i created a 11" chamber because that is what i read the spec to be. i had to bring it up 4 inches until it had broken in. i didn't document how long that took. now it sits on the bottom. when i deep cleaned it, once, it needed the platform for a couple of days. good luck.

Quastermayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took a while when I set my tank up I used the life rock. I saw there was a lot of people with the same issue, that used that rock with their skimmers overflowing. took mine a couple months a few water changes and some carbon to fix the issue

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took a while when I set my tank up I used the life rock. I saw there was a lot of people with the same issue, that used that rock with their skimmers overflowing. took mine a couple months a few water changes and some carbon to fix the issue
Ok good to know that it should eventually settle down. For Joe raising it out if the water a bit has helped. I’ll give it some more time and see what happens. Thank you

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Bubble Magus 7 that will dry skim at eight inches, wet skim at ten, overflow past that. Chose a good height and it will skim controllably. I leave the adjustable tube at Max setting

Back