Will my tank be alright for 3 days?

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going on a vacation for 3 days for Christmas, and am wondering if my tank would be alright? It is a biocube 32 and I have 2 clowns and a small melanurus wrasse. I was also wondering how I would be able to hook up an auto feeder to the tank, as the hood is still on and I do not see where an auto feeder could connect to. Would the tank be ok with just a few bigger feedings beforehand?

goggs29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would feed heavy for a few days before you leave if you don't end up hooking up an auto feeder

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going on a vacation for 3 days for Christmas, and am wondering if my tank would be alright? It is a biocube 32 and I have 2 clowns and a small melanurus wrasse. I was also wondering how I would be able to hook up an auto feeder to the tank, as the hood is still on and I do not see where an auto feeder could connect to. Would the tank be ok with just a few bigger feedings beforehand?
As long as fish are healthy I wouldn't worry about it. Many reefers do three day blackouts, me included, and don't feed their fish.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just feed them normally right before you leave. If everyone is happy and healthy, they should be fine for 3 days. They'll probably give you the stink eye when you get back though. :(

Jgg12002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left fish in bio cube for 9 days several times, good idea to make sure there is enough water in rear chamber so pump doesn’t run dry. I also fattened up my fish before I left. I had a Tank sitter once over feed my fish to the extent the water was yellow when I got back so no house sitters for me. During the summer I have to leave the ac on While I’m gone or the tank will melt. Same goes for heat.

OP
OP
J

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help! I think I’m going to just feed a bit more for the few days before I go.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd set up a camera and make sure someone has access to the tank just in case there is M emergency. You can get a cheap cam for like $20.

OP
OP
J

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky for me my brother is going to be at the house while I am away, so I might just ask him to check up on things. Don’t trust him enough to feed them though. I’ve heard the stories!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky for me my brother is going to be at the house while I am away, so I might just ask him to check up on things. Don’t trust him enough to feed them though. I’ve heard the stories!
Understand; you could package daily ration of dried food if you are still worried about feeding of course. Fish don't eat daily in natural environments

OP
OP
J

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first choice for an automated feeder! Don’t think it would come before I leave, but I do want to try it. I’m wondering though how I would attach it to the biocube? The hood is still on and I don’t see how it could attach to it without the hood being off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As long as your water quality is good, I would do a water change as soon as tonight and one final water test before you depart. Dont worry about feeding them.
They will be fine (trust me) for 3 days with no feedings and in fact your water upon will be clear, and fish will be hungry.
If no light sensitive coral, you can even leave the white lights off to keep the fish relaxed while youre gone

Enjoy the holiday and be safe. Fish will be waiting

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first choice for an automated feeder! Don’t think it would come before I leave, but I do want to try it. I’m wondering though how I would attach it to the biocube? The hood is still on and I don’t see how it could attach to it without the hood being off.
When you get one, I would think you are going to have to cut a partition in the hood. Or perhaps part of it folds over? I have a glass top for my freshwater that I keep folded over. If I am going to be out of town for an extended period, I put aluminum foil partly over the tank to cut down on evaporation since there isn't an ATO for it.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get one, I would think you are going to have to cut a partition in the hood. Or perhaps part of it folds over? I have a glass top for my freshwater that I keep folded over. If I am going to be out of town for an extended period, I put aluminum foil partly over the tank to cut down on evaporation since there isn't an ATO for it.
I would monitor the use of aluminum foil closely since it will react to water and can form an acid. A cheap piece if acrylic would be safer if you can fit it.

fg_aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be good for 3 days. Just feed before you leave is all. I wouldn’t worry about it. They can go a couple days without feeding.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my clownfish, he went on a 9 day hunger strike before he started to eat. While it surely wasn't good for him, he survived. I'm sure 3 will be fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back