Will someone please explain?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, I'm not the world's leading authority on anything related to reef keeping, but I do have an opinion, and I'm thinking that I'm the most qualified person in the world to voice MY opinion!

Okay, yeah, whatever. This is gonna be one of those days. Setting myself up. I can tell. Seems as good a day as any to stir up a Hornet's nest...

I’m basing this "rant" on a recent experience and voicing an opinion…and I need your help in understanding the whole phenomenon behind this.

Here's something that is puzzling me. When you purchase or trade for a frag of a supposedly "high end" or "rare" frag, such as seems to be all the rage on Facebook and such, the apparent definition of frag is "a minuscule piece of the tip of said Acropora..."

I mean, what gives here? Yes, there is no "International Committee on Size Standards For Coral Frags", but when did 7/16" become a "frag" in hobby circles? How can you enjoy a 7/16" frag. What's more, how strong is a "frag" of this size? I mean, it's barely an axial corallite, plus a tiny bit of skeleton to put the (fresh) glue on. Is that fun? Does that feel good? Is that "value?"

pic_03.jpg

"Check out my new microscope to see my latest frags!"

Are we really THIS pathetic? Do we as hobbyists have such collective greed and desire to make a fast buck that we simply snip the very tip off of a "high end" (don't get me started here on that definition/topic...) Acro or whatever and offer that as a..."frag." Oh, sure, it's definitely a "fragment" in the strictest sense, but what a terrible joke for the hobbyist who purchases or trades for it, IMHO.

Why do we have micro frags as the standard in "rare" or "high end" corals? I'll give you my two cents worth (or would that be $300...?):

People that have these so-called "high end" corals for sale have no patience. They see a trend, they have a coral that they probably bought as a 1" piece for $700, "waited" until it grew out to 1.75"-2", and decided that it was now a "colony", ready to start fragging and making them the big bucks. Easy Street.

And fools like us perpetuate this joke of a practice by buying into the hype and plunking down our dollars to support this ridiculousness.

Yeah, why is it that, with few and notable exceptions, these so-called "high end" reefers never seem to have a darned legitimate mother colony of ANY of these corals? Why are almost every one of these types of frags offered as “cut to order” or “fresh cut?” Could it be because there’ s so little material to work with, and the owners are impatient to actually grow them out to a decent size before trying to make the big bucks? Could it be?

Look, I'm NOT trying to bash everyone that sells and trades "high end" coral. I'm not saying that every coral frag has to be 1" or more, or whatever...I'm just questioning how this sad standard developed. I mean, by this token, a 2-inch "colony" of one of these corals could be valued at what- thousands of dollars? I mean, really?

It's our fault. Yeah, ours. Or, those among us who support this.

Again, I love Capitalism. I agree that everyone has the right to conduct business in a manner that they are comfortable with. If someone wants to buy a 7/16" frag for $300-$400 and that makes them happy, so be it. I just find the whole practice amusing and distasteful. No doubt many people find our selling 1"-1.5" frags of corals distasteful. I get it. I sell coral frags. Some can be really expensive. I’m not doubting that. I like to think that we price fairly, as do most legitimate coral vendors.

IMG_8270.jpg

It would be hypocritical of me to say that there is only one way to sell frags. I'm expressing my personal dismay and opinion on a topic that has me scratching my head. I just think there is a level of absurdity that is very funny to me. If I insult some of you, I'm sorry. This is my forum, and I’m discussing a rather touchy topic that’s in my head today. I realize that there will be many different opinions. I realize that some of you will brand me as a pedestal-perching hypocrite who is happy to toss stones from his glass tower at “the rest of the industry” or whatever…I’ve heard it all before almost every time I bring up topics like this. Thick skin comes with the territory.

Let’s just have a darned conversation without the personal attacks that we’re all so used to seeing on forums whenever emotionally charged reefing topics come up, ok? Let’s try to understand this. That’s what I’m looking for…understanding.

Perhaps someone could explain why it's so cool to buy and trade microchips of corals with values that take your breath away. Oh, is it the thrill of the hunt? The kill...the excitement of acquisition? I get that. I really do. I just can't understand why the pricing is what it is. Yes, I took economics as a business student in college, know of supply and demand…and didn't sleep through all of Micro/Macro Economics, Intermediate Price Theory, etc. (notice I said, "didn't sleep through all...?" Hey I'm being honest.). I grew up with a CPA in the house (my dad), so I heard regularly about economics and all that stuff. I’m not completely ignorant. I'm not a Rhodes Scholar, either. Just an opinionated, oft-times cranky reefer who loves to question stuff that bothers him!

Here’s an example of a high-priced coral that offers at least some explanation:

Recently, we've been offering up some frags of Solomon Islands "Purple Monster" Acros from the colonies that Jake Adams collected on his expedition to that region a number of months ago. This was a coral that was essentially lost from the hobby over the past decade or so. These colonies were literally collected by hand with permission from a specific locality, legally exported to us in the US, and were very labor intensive corals. Jake cut himself up so badly collecting these corals that he contracted a staph infection. He and Tim Kelly arrived shortly after the corals, physically and emotionally exhausted. Collecting rare corals from a remote region is not an easy process...not for the faint of heart.

SOLD-Daryl-Leuck1half-solomon-isl-purple-monster-acro-165.jpg

These frags have been offered between $85 to as much as $300 for larger pieces. And you know what? There was a small part of me that felt guilty about asking such a price...until I considered what transpired to get the corals to us at UC, and then the recovery, acclimation, feeding, fragging and grow out that needed to take place before we ever even considered putting them up for sale. Yeah, pat us on the back, whatever.

The point is not to point out how cool we are, okay? Stay on topic...

This is a coral that is still rare in the hobby. Legitimately, truly rare. It’s simply not available- not because it’s from single Acropora tenuis that happened to hold it's cool newly imported color, was found in a maricultured Acro shipment from Bali, which someone then isolated a small piece of, named, photographed and hyped up, before quickly distributing as breathtakingly expensive microchips on eBay. Nope, it’s a rather scarce coral from a remote part of the world, painstakingly retrieved and carefully fragged and healed, that has been absent in any quantity from the hobby for a long time. If there were ever a coral that could justify such a crazy price, this would be a strong candidate.

I’m not telling the PM story to put Jake, Tim or UC or anyone else up on a pedestal. I’m offering it up to show one side of why one coral might be able to justify its expensive price. And our definition of “expensive” in this context is far different than “expensive” as it relates to the microchip phenomenon.

And I hope the "fool and his money" theory that no doubt will be offered up is not the best explanation for this phenomenon. There must be more to it.

Okay, I’ve ranted long enough; probably starting to sounds absurd (“STARTING TO? Fellman?” ).

Why do I do bring up these kinds of topics? Well, someone has to start the discussion.

Stay clean. Stay on topic. Stay nice.

Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman

Last edited:

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best is with chalices, where the frag is smaller than most people's pinky nail and it costs like $500. I understand charging a lot for a frag if it grows really slowly, cost a lot to get or likes to die for no reason but I do not get when the coral was easy to acquire, grows fast and is tough as nails (aka most corals in the hobby).

den75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And fools like us perpetuate this joke of a practice by buying into the hype and plunking down our dollars to support this ridiculousness.

You summed it up right here. As long as people keep paying the prices then things will stay the same. As soon as people say no more and stop buying then and only then will things change. IMO, not likely to happen.

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like your on the acro topic and a pretty good one to be on. chalices I understand more cause the supplier knows when they have a nice rainbow chalice and cost more to get it . acropora not so much but most like 98% of Facebook sales I see are auctions and the people make the price therefore its only worth what someone well pay, and if someone wants to pay 500$ for a very small frag well that's how much it was worth to them and that's all that really needs to be said. the ones that have a constant retail of a crazy price for a very small frag is a bit crazy but to each there own.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my opinion that it won't be the government that shuts down the hobby, like some think, but the pricing scheme that some employ. Others will follow because that's what people are paying. Soon very common corals will cost more than the equipment costs coming out today. You want a "rare" coral? Might as well give up your first born that.

Ugh.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think i could agree with you more on this topic.
Personally, I won't buy micro-frags. At all.
Even when getting "high(er)-end" acro's from local reefers, or even in some of our (good)LFS, if its not at least multi-branch and well encrusted, I don't even consider it. I can wait until its ready. The same with my own corals. A lot started from standard "1-1.5" Stock frags", and have grown considerably, 3 or 4 or 5 times their original size now.
Yet, personally i still don't think many of them have reached true "Mother Colony" status, and i refuse to cut those until they have matured and grown enough to the point where I'm able to cut frags that are of a decent size. Again, I can wait.
Another thing that kind of bugs me about mini-frags is that, in a tank of any REAL size, they all but disappear among the rocks. "Try to find my new frag in the 180....."

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like your on the acro topic and a pretty good one to be on. chalices I understand more cause the supplier knows when they have a nice rainbow chalice and cost more to get it . acropora not so much but most like 98% of Facebook sales I see are auctions and the people make the price therefore its only worth what someone well pay, and if someone wants to pay 500$ for a very small frag well that's how much it was worth to them and that's all that really needs to be said. the ones that have a constant retail of a crazy price for a very small frag is a bit crazy but to each there own.
A very legitimate point! As we've touched on...I think the public sets the price...and it's (I suppose) not for me or anyone else to judge what is "ignorant", "absurd", whatever...it's very, very interesting, though!

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pricing of booger sized specs of corals on a plug is seen across the spectrum of corals. Let's take the"Bounce" mushrooms for instance $700, $800, $1500 for a spec is just ridiculous! My quote from a similar thread recently: "Obviously a unique mushroom and colorful with the bubbles giving some texture and dimension, but " come on man", it's still just a mushroom!
And don"t think i'm only hating on the shrooms and their prices, I think some of these acros and their saturated, altered images and credulous prices are in the same "come on man!" category of overpriced."
You can now add some of the new Monti's on the market in this ridiculous pricing scheme i.e. Phoenix or Rainbow Phoenix, Beach Bum, Altered Ego, Crazy T etc. And looking closely a these corals online many look like the same coral with slightly different color schemes due to different lighting and conditions.
Wow I'm ranting now too Scott! Boogers on a plug; Any way you see it a fool and his money are soon parted.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself wonder why frag plugs are still so cheap, it's almost as if the price of a mostly empty frag plug has gone up anyway due to inflated costs of the plug it's on.
It makes me sick to see what people are shelling out for some of these corals...
Another note worth mentioning, I see the word eBay is in a different color in your text. I'm assuming it because you feel the same way I do. Let's throw this over saturated coral on eBay, sure it's common but people who see a bid on it have to place a higher bid, it's just the human way of a sniper. And because of this, better looking corals are sure to sell for more then they would have on the sellers home site. I've been seeing a lot of this and from what I consider to be "higher end" vendors and I'm sick of it.
Though you know what they say when you assume things.
In the end I'm just tired of people taking advantage of others in this hobby. It's makes it hard for people like me to afford something that isn't green or blue or brown for that matter. I'm just thankful that I'm drawn to green and blue corals like a bug to a zapper because if I wasn't my tank would be empty!

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is a strange phenomenon these micro-frags. Wish I could explain it but I don't think it's as simple as what people will pay, I agree with Scott that there has to be more to it.

I think it has something to do with the addictive nature that we all know this hobby has. Seems it forces some of us to make what I consider insane purchases. Now , I'm mostly into Acro's so that's basically what I pay attention to.

These frags on the FB auctions are ridiculous. I admit I subscribe to a couple of these pages but just as an interested observer. I actually saw a frag yesterday that you could literally count the number of polyps on it, it was just the very tip of a branch and people were bidding on it! I assume ,based on the picture of the " Mother" colony because you couldn't tell much from the so called " frag"

I'm wondering if Scott saw the same frag and was inspired to make this post? Lol

I don't think this trend will last though. There has to be a limited number of people that are willing to pay these prices, doesn't there??

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Scott, so I totally agree with you and here is my dime store psychology for the reasons behind this....

When you go to a LFS, you tend to see all the "regular" stuff....when you go to the internet, there are tons of choices that it is hard to fathom at times. So I see 3 possible scenerios of people that will buy the corals as "rare" or extremely expensive:

1: First time you have ever seen it before and are so excited, you just cant stand it and have to have it....

2: Look this frag is $XXX,... I can grow corals really well....maybe I can make some $ from it...

3: Hard core collector that wants to have it now...I need to have this in my collection... I am used to paying higher prices for what I want so it's OK...

I think 1 and 3 might be related or even the same.....but....the theory behind it is a bit different...

I think we as hobbyists need to reject the high prices on the corals....yes some will be more expensive due to collection costs and labor and time involved with farming them....however, I must say that the booger size frags for tons of cash need to stop so that everyone has access to different corals...

I also don't know how the "hype" for a particular coral gets started....I have seen single zoa polyps reach 1200.00 on ebay.....its nuts!

I think we are all so patient on getting our systems up and running that we may not be able to help ourselves when it come to livestock.....Just Ideas for thought :)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that the prices being asked for on these "named" and "rare" corals can be outrageous, the old addage that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it holds. How is this any different than a rare postage stamp that collectors would pay thousands for? Or a rare baseball card? There is a certain value people place on everything and what is absurd to you might not be to them.

That said, I prefer corals under $50 and have at least 4 heads (I'm into zoas right now). More than that I think the price is too high. But far be it for me to tell someone an adonis polyp isn't worth more. I just won't buy one.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent feedback and points by all- much more to expand upon. I do agree that the microchip/absurd price thing seems sort of self limiting for now.. But I worry that this mindset may expand to the greater market and set up yet another sad "standard" for the hobby/industry. I probably worry and overthink this stuff, but it seems that were heading in that direction sometimes. It's great to hear that many of you (as I suspected you would) do reject this absurdity.. But we sometimes have to peek under the rug, pull out this ugly stuff- and shudder a bit. Better than just pretending that it's nonexistent or of no consequence to the hobby.

Rant on!

Scott

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your outrage however, I have no answer to "Why". I only know that, thru experience, if you do it better, set higher standards, offer a better product and better service then people WILL come to your business and leave the other. If enough great vendors will do this then there will be a very limited market for "chip frags" and they, chip frag dealers, will eat each other alive trying to steal each others sales. Also, with the huge growth in the hobby there is a seemingly endless flow of people who just don't know better. JMO, thanks for the forum.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the not so new standard. For those that have been a hobbyist or vendor long enough, Think back 5-10 years and will recall the one polyp zoa frags, chalice the size of a pencil eraser and the list goes on.
Tiny frags have been around for a long time and unfortunately are here to stay.
The new age of selling coral is on Facebook.

Nearly all of the guys that sell are able to escape taxes, little to no overhead and the hobbyist are paying the price.

Bidding is nothing new, auctions for any and everything have been in existence much longer than people that communicate on this forum. It has now become the new standard in selling coral because the buyer creates the selling price, sometimes high and sometimes low.

Everything is constantly changing. Starbucks dropped Merry Christmas from their cups, guys are becoming girls, everyone is offended and the oceans are getting warmer. Embrace it or hate every minute..

None of this means I agree with it. I'm just pointing out the facts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the not so new standard. For those that have been a hobbyist or vendor long enough, Think back 5-10 years and will recall the one polyp zoa frags, chalice the size of a pencil eraser and the list goes on.
Tiny frags have been around for a long time and unfortunately are here to stay.
The new age of selling coral is on Facebook.

Nearly all of the guys that sell are able to escape taxes, little to no overhead and the hobbyist are paying the price.

Bidding is nothing new, auctions for any and everything have been in existence much longer than people that communicate on this forum. It has now become the new standard in selling coral because the buyer creates the selling price, sometimes high and sometimes low.

Everything is constantly changing. Starbucks dropped Merry Christmas from their cups, guys are becoming girls, everyone is offended and the oceans are getting warmer. Embrace it or hate every minute..

None of this means I agree with it. I'm just pointing out the facts.

...And your points are completely correct. I've been a round a long time, too- and I've seen the evolution of this whole thing. You're right that the "LE" stuff started some time ago, first with Chalices and then Acans, etc. We've seen crazy pricing and such before. I do feel it is a definite trend, now, however that we are seeing more and more of this stuff happening on Facebook and elsewhere, and look- I'm not against free commerce. I wonder when FB will try to get in on the action, however. There is a lot of money changing hands right under their noses...I am mainly concerned that we've created a level of expectation (high or low) among many newer hobbyists or coral enthusiasts who just assume that this is "the way" corals are sold. Now, most aren't this naive, but it's entirely possible that someone who has been "indoctrinated" into this game and will simply think that this is "they way" we do things..And maybe it is nowadays ..As you point out, things have evolved. We can't hold on to our pagers, typewriters, etc...It's just when it is such a strong change in a small market sector, it becomes, well- noticeable. Anyhow, it's fun to postulate...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back