Will the reef tank be a money pit regardless which route I take?

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the intent of purchasing the Waterbox 20 as my first saltwater reef tank, but after listening to people say to go bigger, I am down to these options:

WaterBox 20 (20 Gallons)
Marine X 35.1 (22 Gallons)
Marine X 60.2 (36 Gallons)
Marine X 90.3 (59.3 Gallons)

I'm the type of person to spend more money upfront with the intent of everything running easier and better and enjoying this hobby more. I was so close to purchasing the Marcine X 90.3 because it would look perfect in this spot in our house but then I watched this video on costs (He ends up spending over $4k and he only purchased a tank used for $250) and I'm having doubts. If I spend $3k on the system, now my electric bill will go up, water bill goes up, etc. and that doesn't include livestock. Should I go back to the WaterBox 20 or will it be a money pit regardless of which route I take?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really isn't a middle ground unless talking about SPS coral as they require more strict parameters. The more fish you add, the more nutrient export is needed. With any corals you will need to also be maintaining those parameters.
I was planning on starting off with only SPS coral.

Upvote 0

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wasn't planning on getting much extra equipment (like a protein skimmer..). Do you think I can keep the cost down if I go easy on the coral and more on fish?
There are many ways to keep cost down. You can either spend $2000 on leds or $600 T5 fixture + bulbs. Could spend $800 on 2x MP40 for water flow or could spend $200 on 2x Jabeo wave makers. Same goes for return pump.

cheaper equipment won’t stop you from being successful or keeping finicky acros.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really isn't a middle ground unless talking about SPS coral as they require more strict parameters. The more fish you add, the more nutrient export is needed. With any corals you will need to also be maintaining those parameters.
I was thinking to start off with only SPS Coral and fish (clown and whatever goes good with it).

Upvote 0

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS is by far the most difficult to upkeep. It requires the best lights, and the most amount of dosing/trace elements. Just something to keep in mind.

Upvote 0

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the intent of purchasing the Waterbox 20 as my first saltwater reef tank, but after listening to people say to go bigger, I am down to these options:

WaterBox 20 (20 Gallons)
Marine X 35.1 (22 Gallons)
Marine X 60.2 (36 Gallons)
Marine X 90.3 (59.3 Gallons)

I'm the type of person to spend more money upfront with the intent of everything running easier and better and enjoying this hobby more. I was so close to purchasing the Marcine X 90.3 because it would look perfect in this spot in our house but then I watched this video on costs (He ends up spending over $4k and he only purchased a tank used for $250) and I'm having doubts. If I spend $3k on the system, now my electric bill will go up, water bill goes up, etc. and that doesn't include livestock. Should I go back to the WaterBox 20 or will it be a money pit regardless of which route I take?
Warning! No one will require you to spend more money then you want. But with a reef tank you will want to spend more than you thought possible. That is, if you are like me and many others. How you budget is up to you.

Upvote 0

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should spend what you can afford. If you are getting a all in one smaller is less water bigger is more water. If you go sump . Refugium or algae scrubber and protien skimmer you can almost get away with out water changes. Or at lest 20% a month .

Upvote 0

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh perhaps I misunderstood. I wanted to try the beginner-friendly coral. Perhaps LPS.
"beginner friendly" just means it grows decently fast and won't fall apart if some fluctuations happen. Zoas, xenias, GSP, leathers would all be good places to start!

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once setup the costs are not that great.
I would recommend a plan as to what you want to keep before any purchase.
Purchase all equipment before starting is another part of the plan.
Chose your parameters and how you plan to keep them stable and focus on stability.
The bigger the tank the bigger the cost.
Small tanks get filled in quickly.

A good idea for a new reefer is to purchase a small system and run it for a year or two.
If you can keep a 20 gallon system stable and thriving a larger system
will be much easier.
Learning what it takes to be successful in this hobby is the key to success.

Last but not least this hobby is not an inexpensive one and doing it right from the start will keep you in the game as long as you want.

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning! No one will require you to spend more money then you want. But with a reef tank you will want to spend more than you thought possible. That is, if you are like me and many others. How you budget is up to you.
Zx- Pointing up.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is you get a small tank and it does well and you spend a fair amount but not a ton. Then you want a bigger tank and harder to keep animals which requires more $$$! Then you start doing really well and you setup frag systems… you see where I’m going lol. It’s addicting and I think that’s where it becomes a money pit.

Upvote 0

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 30 gal. I think ull be okay with that. Keep it simple. No need to get all the fancy gear in one shot especially if this is your first time. Figure out how this works first and work your way up.

The main question is “how much self control do you have if your honest with yourself”……….

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh perhaps I misunderstood. I wanted to try the beginner-friendly coral. Perhaps LPS.
If you are not familiar with the easier corals (soft corals) look up some photos of Green Star Polyps (GSP), various mushrooms, zoanthids and leather corals. You can get some really beautiful things without spending a huge amount. Prices of corals seem very high online, but there are sales every weekend on here where they are heavily discounted and a good local fish store will almost always be cheaper. Search for "softies only tank" and look at the photos.

Upvote 0

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of your aquarium as a whole as a living thing. The only difference is that what size tank you start with will not change. If you get a Great Dane or any puppy, how much are you going to spend the first year? Food, toys, VET, time, training (pro or yourself), damage to the house. When you look at it that way you’re going to see similarities in the amount of money you spend. Of course if you’re talking about a gigantic 300 gallon + aquarium the numbers are going to change. The main difference is that eventually if you’re successful you might make some money back on your investment.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back