Will these two SPS recover?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Recently, a clove polyp got caught in my powerhead and fouled up the water, and caused all my corals to get upset and all of my stony corals to melt. It took many water changes to correct the issue, and I even had to put some of my corals into the quarantine tank to recover. While this decision helped most of the corals survive, some did not respond well to the new conditions, particularly my birdsnest Frag and montipora, which continued to recede and melt. I have some confidence that the monti can pull through, but am less sure about the birdsnest, which is continuing to melt, and is beginning to look like a coral with RTN. Polyps are still extended, but more flesh disappears every day. I’ve decided to move these two back into the display tank on account of the issue being resolved. Now that they’re back in the proper environment, do they have a chance for recovery, or do they seem too far gone? Thanks!
29E68C8A-E68E-4EF3-B346-2A6EE37FE2A2.jpeg
682AAC61-9015-48D7-B023-116C447092C8.jpeg

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That birdsnest is a gonner, once the tissue starts peeling its only a matter of time. Sometimes they can be saved by fragging good branches with no signs of tissue loss but a frag that small will probably be done in a week. Even if a few polyps hang on the rest of the skeleton will start getting colonized by algae and smother them.

jrmailo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bird nest in my experience is very sensitive to stressors but is bullet proof in terms of staying alive and will recover from just about anything given that you successfully remove the stressor(s) and stabilize your parameters. I have a green birdnest that went through +80% STN on its tissue and had algae grown in the skeleton due to dinoflagellates outbreak. I thought it was a goner but surprisingly, once the dinos were gone, it made a full recovery (tissue and polyps growing back on the exisiting skeletons) within a 1 months and had since quadruple in size.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bird nest in my experience is very sensitive to stressors but is bullet proof in terms of staying alive and will recover from just about anything given that you successfully remove the stressor(s) and stabilize your parameters. I have a green birdnest that went through +80% STN on its tissue and had algae grown in the skeleton due to dinoflagellates outbreak. I thought it was a goner but surprisingly, once the dinos were gone, it made a full recovery (tissue and polyps growing back on the exisiting skeletons) within a 1 months and had since quadruple in size.
Yeah I’ve always had trouble with birdsnests long term, maybe it’s because I always had ULNS….

Haven’t tried any in years.

back to the Op

the month looks good, the Birdsnest is 70/30 toast ImHO
take a piece that is furthest from the RTN do a dip on the frag and try to save it that way.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow can you elaborate on how the clove pollup caused this? Do they have toxin or something?

Sorry for your coral losses.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow can you elaborate on how the clove pollup caused this? Do they have toxin or something?

Sorry for your coral losses.
Essentially, my clove polyp colony got so large to the point that one got sucked into the he powerhead and sliced up. This stressed the nearby corals, particularly my leathers (all of which are massive). Whenever something seriously stresses my leather corals (which is typically caused by me moving rocks around, but in this case was something parameter-related), they close up and release chemicals into the water. In the wild, these chemicals are meant stunt growth of encroaching stony corals or ward of sweepers. In a relatively small tank, however, this is detrimental. Usually I catch it in time to reverse the effects, but this time I was out when the leather corals released the toxins so couldn’t to a water change until significant damage was done.

For a while, I couldn’t figure out why my stony corals would recede on random occasion, when the water parameters seemed perfect, but over time I’ve realized that whenever something annoyed my leather corals, stony coral meltdowns would soon follow…

jrmailo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve always had trouble with birdsnests long term, maybe it’s because I always had ULNS….

Haven’t tried any in years.

back to the Op

the month looks good, the Birdsnest is 70/30 toast ImHO
take a piece that is furthest from the RTN do a dip on the frag and try to save it that way.
Yes I have heard of this. Some tanks just can't grow bird nest for some reason but are completely fine to acropora and other tough sps species.

The bane of my tank are tenuis acropora. People say that they are hardy and easy, but I'd easily lost over half of all my tenuis frags and the ones that stay alive do NOTHING.

And yes I agree to the fragging of BN if it continues to lose flesh.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Recently, a clove polyp got caught in my powerhead and fouled up the water, and caused all my corals to get upset and all of my stony corals to melt. It took many water changes to correct the issue, and I even had to put some of my corals into the quarantine tank to recover. While this decision helped most of the corals survive, some did not respond well to the new conditions, particularly my birdsnest Frag and montipora, which continued to recede and melt. I have some confidence that the monti can pull through, but am less sure about the birdsnest, which is continuing to melt, and is beginning to look like a coral with RTN. Polyps are still extended, but more flesh disappears every day. I’ve decided to move these two back into the display tank on account of the issue being resolved. Now that they’re back in the proper environment, do they have a chance for recovery, or do they seem too far gone? Thanks!
29E68C8A-E68E-4EF3-B346-2A6EE37FE2A2.jpeg
682AAC61-9015-48D7-B023-116C447092C8.jpeg
For the monti it has a chance. I would suggest not too high in the tank, the zooxanthellae are already stressed so somewhat less intense light would help. They can really make a comeback.

For the birdsnest likely not going to go well. Once the "skin" starts to peel back it doesn't go well. I have been able to recover some of them in the past but it is by breaking off the healthy parts that are not yet peeling and making a new frag with it. Based on the picture you provided in the post not sure this is an option.

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a birdsnest that was delivered very poorly, but it had just a couple green specs on it so I have it a chance. It is now one of the fastest growing corals we have. This is about 6 months old and was almost completely white with about 3 green little buttons on it and about 1/2 an inch tall. I say give it a chance you might be surprised.
20220509_195011.jpg

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the monti it has a chance. I would suggest not too high in the tank, the zooxanthellae are already stressed so somewhat less intense light would help. They can really make a comeback.

For the birdsnest likely not going to go well. Once the "skin" starts to peel back it doesn't go well. I have been able to recover some of them in the past but it is by breaking off the healthy parts that are not yet peeling and making a new frag with it. Based on the picture you provided in the post not sure this is an option.
also letting the SG gel cover the bare skeleton helps ward off algae and perhaps the RTN..

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The next day, the birdsnest surprisingly looks better! Flesh has stopped peeling, and hopefully the coral can bounce back.
AAC9E1AA-A593-4D46-98E9-25701AC377EE.jpeg
The montipora on the other hand looks much worse. There is algae growing in some spots and there are many bare areas around the edges. I’ll probably move it into lower light and lower flow. Does anyone know if feeding it coral food would help, or is this more of a lighting/water quality issue?
08A72532-7775-44B6-8200-3C53C828A02C.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know cloves to be all that aggressive/toxic. Leather on the other hand... Toadstools and mushrooms too. Banished along with anemones. Tube nems only.
My thoughts are that it wasn’t toxins from the clove, but all the crap spat into the water that triggered the leathers to release the toxins.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: The next day, the birdsnest surprisingly looks better! Flesh has stopped peeling, and hopefully the coral can bounce back.
AAC9E1AA-A593-4D46-98E9-25701AC377EE.jpeg
The montipora on the other hand looks much worse. There is algae growing in some spots and there are many bare areas around the edges. I’ll probably move it into lower light and lower flow. Does anyone know if feeding it coral food would help, or is this more of a lighting/water quality issue?
08A72532-7775-44B6-8200-3C53C828A02C.jpeg
Glad they're doing better :) Try to keep the birdsnest in lower flow if you can to help keep it from continued peeling

Gently remove algae from the Monti manually with a baby toothbrush, it helps if you get macro (I like Caulerpa Prolifera) or something to help remove nutrients and prevent the algae because once it starts it's hard to get rid of. But the Monti should be just fine :)

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think birdsnests are more dramatic than other SPS when it comes to shedding flesh. However, in my experience, they bounce back better others. When acros start looking like that, I will attempt to intervene (fragging, relocating, etc.), but I usually assume they're goners. Birdsnests, however, mostly bounce back for me once I've addressed the issue.

I'm optimistic for your birdsnest. You've addressed the issue and you're seeing some rebound. As long as things remain stable, it should be able to bounce back and regrow the flesh. The monti may be trickier, but generally they're good at bouncing back. I agree with the poster above who said you should gently clean it off (turkey baster or soft bristle tooth brush if blowing algae off doesn't help). They're fairly sturdy corals, but I have killed them (I actually have 2 of 3 frags remaining in my tank from one that fell and broke). I would keep it where it is for now. Moving it around will only add to the stress. They can be blasted with flow and are pretty adaptable to light, so I'd only move it if you're 100% certain that either lighting/flow is a problem in that location. Otherwise, I'd leave it.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment, my montipora is doing worse and is being overtaken by algae. I’ve tried to scrub it, but it seems to be the stubborn kind of film algae. Should I do a hydrogen peroxide dip, or wait and see if the coral recovers on its own?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%

Back