Will this APEX program work for dosing kalkwasser?

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to use a BRS dosing pump to add kalkwasser in the evening. I'm a bit of a APEX rookie, not sure if I did it correctly.

Wanted to program for evening hours with PH controls and a 1 minute delay before switching to avoid on/off flickering at set points.

does this look right?

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 9.44.00 AM.png

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few problems with your code:

1. Since you don't have any Set OFF command, after the If Time period ends the pump will remain on until the pH exceeds 8.40.

2. Do you have any concern about water level? If you only base it on time or pH, there's a chance you will overflow.

A better approach when combining a time window and pH level is this:

Fallback OFF
If pH < 8.35 Then ON
If pH > 8.40 Then OFF
If Time 07:00 to 21:00 Then OFF

By placing the ON condition first, then followed by each possible OFF condition, the OFF will always override when the condition is properly met.

But again, do you want any water level failsafe?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to use a BRS dosing pump to add kalkwasser in the evening. I'm a bit of a APEX rookie, not sure if I did it correctly.

Wanted to program for evening hours with PH controls and a 1 minute delay before switching to avoid on/off flickering at set points.

does this look right?

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 9.44.00 AM.png
Will ph overshoot since the reaction to kalkwasser and sensing is not instantaneous?
Maybe use an osc to turn on for 15 or 30 seconds then off for 2 minutes

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine
Screenshot_20201029-181527.png

The obvious failsafes are if the main return pump shuts off, if there is a leak, or if it runs too long (generally a sign it's out of kalk).

There are also a few redundancies you don't see since I use this as my ATO.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my specific case I run two pH probes (change one of the 2 probes out every 1-2yrs when the drift can't stay stable).

I run 2 @AVAST Marine ato switches. 1 is the high level that controls the kalk & the other is 0.5" lower and runs straight RO if my evap is higher than the kalk can maintain.

I also beefed up my avast reactor to run 1 lb of kalk at a time and I fill it approximately once a month.

Just some ideas that hopefully you pull from as you like.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last option... a friend runs hers on a set on off schedule that's less than her evap. That way there's little mess with all my stuff and she can be confident in the pH staying to a certain level regardless of the probe failing.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few problems with your code:

1. Since you don't have any Set OFF command, after the If Time period ends the pump will remain on until the pH exceeds 8.40.

2. Do you have any concern about water level? If you only base it on time or pH, there's a chance you will overflow.

A better approach when combining a time window and pH level is this:

Fallback OFF
If pH < 8.35 Then ON
If pH > 8.40 Then OFF
If Time 07:00 to 21:00 Then OFF

By placing the ON condition first, then followed by each possible OFF condition, the OFF will always override when the condition is properly met.

But again, do you want any water level failsafe?

Thank you. I will try this.

No, not concerned with water level as I have run the dosing pump for 24 hours and my ATO still needs to correct for level.
the drip rate is super slow. I have been turning on the dosing pump at night manually and it works pretty good, I'm just trying to make it all automatic, so all I have to do is rotate out the used kalkwasser reservoirs with fresh stuff.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine just FYI if want more options. This run the kalk pump every 30min for 2.5 min. With the brs pump that is 6L a day. I know my system always evaporates more than that but I do have a float (smplvl- sump level) that will shut it off if needed.

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/002:30/027:30 Then ON
If pH > 8.55 Then OFF
If Smplvl CLOSED Then OFF

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 9.1%
Back