Will this coral eat my fish?

Phoerut

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2022
Messages
81
Reaction score
99
Location
Essex
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought what I think is some sort of mushroom coral with no research from a not very informative LFS. I know I’m a terrible noob.

I had researched that ‘mushroom’ corals are good beginner corals. But at this point I was unaware that not all mushroom corals are good beginner corals and then I found out some of them even eat fish! A month into the hobby I’m much more wise.. can someone help me id this coral and tell me if it’s safe? It’s been through hell and back in this tank with me and I’m pretty fond of it now..

0B6C15F2-1547-4256-9766-8C07AF543C9C.jpeg
 
Looks like a rhodactis mushroom . I have kept mushrooms for like forever and I never had one eat a fish , never heard about one eating a fish . If anyone in this club has ever lost a fish to a mushroom coral I wouldn’t believe it , I’d want proof . That’s my opinion!!!
 
Mushroom eat particulate- not fish. Feeding mysis or brine shrimp to it will be a favorite (that is if the fish dont steal it)
 
There are a couple species that can eat fish, elephant ear mushrooms (Amplexidiscus fenestrafer) come to mind. They’re massive, sometimes over a foot across. But the Rhodactis and Discosoma species that are commonly available won’t eat your fish. I’ve heard of Maxi Mini anemones (which look a lot like mushrooms) eating fish, but they’re anemones, not mushrooms. Essentially, it’s nothing to worry about.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new