Will this coral eat my fish?

Phoerut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought what I think is some sort of mushroom coral with no research from a not very informative LFS. I know I’m a terrible noob.

I had researched that ‘mushroom’ corals are good beginner corals. But at this point I was unaware that not all mushroom corals are good beginner corals and then I found out some of them even eat fish! A month into the hobby I’m much more wise.. can someone help me id this coral and tell me if it’s safe? It’s been through hell and back in this tank with me and I’m pretty fond of it now..

0B6C15F2-1547-4256-9766-8C07AF543C9C.jpeg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a rhodactis mushroom . I have kept mushrooms for like forever and I never had one eat a fish , never heard about one eating a fish . If anyone in this club has ever lost a fish to a mushroom coral I wouldn’t believe it , I’d want proof . That’s my opinion!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mushroom eat particulate- not fish. Feeding mysis or brine shrimp to it will be a favorite (that is if the fish dont steal it)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple species that can eat fish, elephant ear mushrooms (Amplexidiscus fenestrafer) come to mind. They’re massive, sometimes over a foot across. But the Rhodactis and Discosoma species that are commonly available won’t eat your fish. I’ve heard of Maxi Mini anemones (which look a lot like mushrooms) eating fish, but they’re anemones, not mushrooms. Essentially, it’s nothing to worry about.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back