Will this kill my fish

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my local fish store that if I mix the diatoms that are on/in my sand that can help them go away. There are also lots of air bubbles in the sand. I mixed a a very small area of the sand and there were a lot of little sand particles that are in the water. Will that harm the fish? And should I mix up this sand

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my local fish store that if I mix the diatoms that are on/in my sand that can help them go away. There are also lots of air bubbles in the sand. I mixed a a very small area of the sand and there were a lot of little sand particles that are in the water. Will that harm the fish? And should I mix up this sand
Can the sand harm fish gills

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? New tanks always get diatoms for a few weeks, they feed off the silicates that come in new sand. They usually pass after 1-2-3 weeks. No real need to do anything.

If your tank is established and you have diatoms, then its different, and requires investigation.

AlgaeDepot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be just fine stirring up the sand without harm ti the fish. We’ve had some serious sand storms from sand sifters lol.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? New tanks always get diatoms for a few weeks, they feed off the silicates that come in new sand. They usually pass after 1-2-3 weeks. No real need to do anything.

If your tank is established and you have diatoms, then its different, and requires investigation.
My tank is 3 months old. The diatoms have started to go away but are still there. Does mixing up the sand help though and will it harm fish?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back