Will this temp swing kill corals

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get an inkbird heater controller that will turn the fans on automatically for cheap.
I have inkbirds on all my tanks & for the price they have saved my bacon several times.fans always kick in.£30 from ebay

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about sps?
I had to move my sps frags to a different tank as they were bleaching. Also florida’s sps colonies are dying from the huge temp spikes down there in the ocean so I would assume the same if you cant regulate the temp

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about sps?
Has there been any change since your spike in terms of coral bleaching or anything else noticeable since , correct me if I’m wrong that it’s been now 3 days since the spike ? Good chance you would be seeing something negative by now if it were to happen .

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has there been any change since your spike in terms of coral bleaching or anything else noticeable since , correct me if I’m wrong that it’s been now 3 days since the spike ? Good chance you would be seeing something negative by now if it were to happen .
Sorry, just saw this. I was able to check yesterday afternoon and everything looked fine except one of my acans was just a little bit shriveled up but it looks better this morning.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just saw this. I was able to check yesterday afternoon and everything looked fine except one of my acans was just a little bit shriveled up but it looks better this morning.
I’m surprised that the sharp climb and fall didn’t cause issues

Attachments

• IMG_9854.png
    IMG_9854.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 15

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9842.png

I’ve been gone since yesterday afternoon and haven’t checked apex till now. Saw 84 degrees and felt like I got punched in the stomach.

Should I expect coral loss? It’s mostly sps. Time will tell but I just wanted to hear people’s experiences.

Tanks been getting hotter since summer started (even tho ac is at the same temperature??????) why is that?

I had someone blast the fan in my room just now so temperature is slowly coming down.
It doesn't look like a spike - it looks like a temp rise in a few hours. I would not worry until 86-F and above. Florida coral water temps have been running over 100-F. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

Probably happens !

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised that the sharp climb and fall didn’t cause issues
In aquariums the effects of Global Warming are not the same as in Florida or on the Great Barrier Reef because there in little to zero money to be made advocating for donations to save your tank. I'm happy for the OP but not totally surprised by the failure of your tank to prove or disprove the effects of any Global Warming. Your data means nothing because the activists will continue selling donation opportunities to save the planets reefs by their altruistic efforts. :cool:

Season 6 Nbc GIF by The Office
Go Green Water Bottle GIF by Poland Spring
Go Green Mother Earth GIF by Creative Courage

Academy Awards Advent Calendar GIF by BuzzFeed
"Same as it ever was."
Homer Simpson What GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back