Will tiny zoa frags grow and spread?

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Maybe I should have bought large established zoa colonies … anyway, I chose to buy frags some of which are (and they were very cheap…) tiny with only a few polyps. They came on tiny pieces of rock. So, how will they grow? Are they best left on the shallow sand bed? Or put on rock ledges to hopefully spread and encrust? What will get them to grow as best they can? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Maybe I should have bought large established zoa colonies … anyway, I chose to buy frags some of which are (and they were very cheap…) tiny with only a few polyps. They came on tiny pieces of rock. So, how will they grow? Are they best left on the shallow sand bed? Or put on rock ledges to hopefully spread and encrust? What will get them to grow as best they can? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Just wedge those little rocks into your rockwork and they will spread to surrounding rock.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Find a spot you want them in, monitor. If they open up and like where they’re placed you can glue them (the rock/frag) down. Once established they’ll slowly start to encrust and start a colony.

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both. Is there a harmless glue to use? How about that Milliput 2 part putty like stuff?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular Superglue is what I use to glue down frags.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will spread! Like wildfire if you let them- so isolate them in a place where you can control them; unless youre going for a zoa-tank! :D

We removed all our coral to have a FOWLR tank for a while.. Now i have an 'utter chaos' tank :cool:

Off topic - Bearded Collie or Old English?

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will spread! Like wildfire if you let them- so isolate them in a place where you can control them; unless youre going for a zoa-tank! :D

We removed all our coral to have a FOWLR tank for a while.. Now i have an 'utter chaos' tank :cool:

Off topic - Bearded Collie or Old English?
Sorry. Only just seen your question. Our beautiful bearded collie Bonnie.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back