Wilsoni health concerns

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at the last WWC live sale, I pulled the trigger on what they called a frozen tiger Symphillia wilsoni.

Here’s what was promised:
IMG_1784.jpeg

When it arrived it had a dark colored around the red edge.

It currently looks like this:
IMG_1785.jpeg

Sorry about the poor quality. All I have is my phone to take these pics.

It still feeds if I give it something. But it clearly doesn’t look like it’s doing amazingly either. How concerned should I be right now?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I did not
Well, we all know Photoshop reigns on most coral websites (in addition to being shot under ideal lighting and water conditions). It's hard to tell from the image, but if it's still eating that's at least a good sign. All you can really do is ensure your lighting, tank parameters and flow are optimal.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that these like cooler water temperature. They have been hit and miss for me, and they seem very sensitive to whatever the light, temperature, flow and feeding requirements might be?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at the last WWC live sale, I pulled the trigger on what they called a frozen tiger Symphillia wilsoni.

Here’s what was promised:
IMG_1784.jpeg

When it arrived it had a dark colored around the red edge.

It currently looks like this:
IMG_1785.jpeg

Sorry about the poor quality. All I have is my phone to take these pics.

It still feeds if I give it something. But it clearly doesn’t look like it’s doing amazingly either. How concerned should I be right now?
I always like to look at the frag plug and compare it to the coral. The frag plug appears to be a rainbow black 1" plug with a spot of purple coralline algae that is also showing hints of rainbow (led spectrum light flecks). I have looked at a lot of purple and red coralline algae in aquariums and it is always flat purple or flat red, different hues but never rainbow. Same for frag plugs. IT is an art to decipher amazing photographs and predict what the actual frag will look like. Your photography and theirs are very typical results for a well photographed coral (for sale) and the frag you are going to get if you buy it.
I was looking at this Wilsoni and I figured that it wouldn't be vividly brilliant red with a sea of blue/ rainbow center. Thanks for the actual picture. Sorry you bought it but if you keep it alive it can be amazing in your tank once it gets growing and glowing.

season 5 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
:face-with-hand-over-mouth: :cool:

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back