Windfall of rare dry rock

Swordsman82

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2021
Messages
72
Reaction score
110
Location
Haverhill, MA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor is moving, and turns out he is also in the hobby and has been for decades. He gave me for free 100 lbs. of bleached Solomon Island live rock he isn't taking with him. Stuff is super nice.

I have a 50 gallon AIO and have only been in the hobby for a year. Is it worth it re-aqua scaping the tank to use some of this higher end rock? Will it become way more of a hassle that it is worth?
 
My neighbor is moving, and turns out he is also in the hobby and has been for decades. He gave me for free 100 lbs. of bleached Solomon Island live rock he isn't taking with him. Stuff is super nice.

I have a 50 gallon AIO and have only been in the hobby for a year. Is it worth it re-aqua scaping the tank to use some of this higher end rock? Will it become way more of a hassle that it is worth?
Perfect reason to upgrade to a larger aquarium!
 
My neighbor is moving, and turns out he is also in the hobby and has been for decades. He gave me for free 100 lbs. of bleached Solomon Island live rock he isn't taking with him. Stuff is super nice.

I have a 50 gallon AIO and have only been in the hobby for a year. Is it worth it re-aqua scaping the tank to use some of this higher end rock? Will it become way more of a hassle that it is worth?
I would not use it immediately. Cure it in a bin for a few months in salt water, you can use your water change water to feed it. If you can get a few pieces of rock from other systems to up the bacterial diversity, even better. If I had this happen I would order 10 lb from TB to seed the whole lot.
 
I would not use it immediately. Cure it in a bin for a few months in salt water, you can use your water change water to feed it. If you can get a few pieces of rock from other systems to up the bacterial diversity, even better. If I had this happen I would order 10 lb from TB to seed the whole lot.
TB?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new