Winflakes 75G reboot 2.0

Winflakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone.

This is where I will chronicle the events leading up to this new reboot and the progress I make as I move forward. This will be a long first post that will likely get broken into 2 or 3 to make it more digestible. Pull out the popcorn folks, it's a roller-coaster of emotions.

I've always been interested in reef aquariums, and 2.5 years ago my older brother told me I could acquire his system on the cheap, he was going to be bouncing around the country for 3 years for work and his wife wouldn't maintain it. April of '16 I show up at his house in Norman, OK to transport it to me in DFW. After getting it all set up to my liking and leaving it overnight to clear up I was the proud owner of a Brand Used reef tank!

20160425_165208.jpg

I decided I wanted to build a sump that would hold more water and have more space for future upgrades.
PART_1461862726203_20160428_115813.jpg

There will be many lessons learned by doing this, the first of which was some woodworking! The stand that came with the system had a support beam in the middle on the front, back, and top. The sump I was designing would not fit without cutting a hole in the side panel. I decided to forego that option and build my own stand. I found Rocketengineers plans and got to work,
20160528_100938.jpg
20160607_003000.jpg
20160616_093207.jpg
While I was building this, I was also learning some of the temperaments of the new fish. The Starry Blenny "Oscar the grouch" would star at anyone who walked by and not back down. Any time a hand went in the tank he would nip it to make sure his dominance was asserted. The Maroon clown claimed the entire sandbed as her own, and as such moved every single piece wherever she pleased much to my disapproval. In the following picture you'll notice that the flame scallop is gone, the alveopora is dead, the frogspawn is missing, and the chalice in the bottom left is struggling very severely:
20160629_163443.jpg

This tank is living in my office, and she did this every weekend. It was decided that she would not stay around long, but I bond quickly to animals so it was hard to feel okay with getting rid of her.

I got the new stand completed, painted, and sealed. Spent a long day and snagged a coworker to help and we got it moved to the new stand.
20160728_105936.jpg

Next was the new sump. Ordered some glass from glasscages, got it all assembled and water tested successfully!
20160905_091645.jpg

I also redid the overflow using one of the King of DiY's designs for using a single pvc pipe in the tank. It worked well, but it always made me nervous.

At this point I stopped taking pictures because nothing major was changing, other than taking the maroon clown to the LFS so she could find a better home in a larger tank. The orange fairy wrasse also went carpet surfing twice. The first time I happened to be in my office and heard the thud, but a few months later he did it over the weekend. I was down to 4 fish now. Powder Brown Tang, Starry Blenny, Lantern Bass, Cleaner Wrasse. Some of the corals started to diminish as time went on. I blame it wholly on my laziness. In fact, I didn't even realize the full extent of the reduction until I moved it for my first reboot. My company moved across the hall, in the same building that we own, and we didn't have any tenants lined up to take over our space so the tank sat in my old office being fed but otherwise neglected while I tried to do things over and more "right"

Reboot time!
20171020_124849.jpg
20171021_123949.jpg
20171022_132523.jpg

I managed to find another 75g at an LFS for $50. deal. The back panel wasn't tempered so time to learn a new skill and drill some holes in the glass, right?
20171024_142914.jpg

All in all, not perfect, but I was proud! You can see in this next picture that I cut a hole in the wall. The plan was to scoot the stand all the way back to the wall and have the overflow and pipes in the cavity.
20171026_105909.jpg

After having the DIY sump running for a year and a half, I learned some things that might have been obvious to you experts from looking at the pictures. The sock holder section was too high and caused a LOT of un-needed salt creep and quite a bit of splashing. The remaining baffles were also too high. When I turned the return pump off it would fill to about half an inch from the top. That did NOT make me or my boss feel very assured. Reboot was a time for doing it right, so a premade sump was ordered.
20171023_162252.jpg

I have to say their packing was stellar. Next was to paint the back of the glass with some oil paint and start routing some of the plumbing.
20171221_155310.jpg
20171221_155242.jpg

That picture was taken December 21, 2017. My wife was expecting our baby boy in Late January. This is when she became very much not a fan of "my stupid fish." :( I decided to step back and focus on her, my 4-year-old daughter, and get our house ready for our son.

Fast forward to late March, and we get a new tenant to sign the contract to take our old office space. That's when I realized just how much work I had left to do. I buckled down and got after it, and as such didn't take enough pictures.
IMG_20180326_105230_01.jpg

I went with white, because the black showed every single molecule of salt creep and the cabinets in our kitchen were already white. Also, I stopped at just priming and painting. On the initial stand I finished with a coat of Marine Spar Varnish. I mean, shoot, if it's what they use to keep boats waterproof and boats stay in the ocean forever, it's gotta be perfect right? WRONG! Oh, so very wrong. Just in-case any of you think it's a good idea... Let me save you. Putting Spar over white paint makes it look like a herd of cats used it for their litter-box... and that was before any of the salt creep funk.
20180412_122733.jpg YUCK!

Moving on!
IMG959355.jpg

I think that looks pretty snazzy. I actually had to put new angles on the trim, as I didn't want it to come out super far from the stand. That was a scary process of running trim vertical over the table saw. 1/10 would not recommend. You can also see a little bit of the hole I cut in the wall. We actually had to jigsaw cut a metal stud in order to route the plumbing. Little did I know that this would all have been for nothing because the trim I put on the stand spaces it off the wall about 2 inches... My boss just laughed and said, "it's a good thing that fish tank is going to cover it up so you don't have to patch it then." ;Sorry
IMG_20180326_105203_01.jpg

Double checking my measurements for a canopy. Please ignore the gaping hole in the wall.

Remember kids, Measure once cut twice!

Continued in Part 2 due to image limit!

**Edited to remove the duplicate pictures. Didn't realize when I uploaded it would keep the pictures in the post AND the bottom.**

- Winflakes

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Winflakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy finished, just needs some vent holes and some coats of paint. I also found a real nifty slow close hinge that I added on. It keeps the canopy open when I’m working and to close I simply nudge it down slightly and it closes slowly on its own.

IMG959354.jpg

Next was to work on a bar to hold the new lighting, went with Radion xr15’s.

IMG_20180323_170805_01.jpg

Time for a water test.

20180406_135525.jpg

All was looking good, but I was getting down to the wire for when my tank needed top be moved. On the absolute last day before the old office was to be taken over I finally had enough new water and everything ready to go. Got some rocks in and threw the heater in the display to try to keep from losing too many degrees. I never did find the cleaner wrasse, more on that later, so I am now down do the blenny, bass, and tang.

20180412_122800.jpg

Got all the rocks moved and took a picture the next day after the socks pulled almost all the silt out of the new sand. I like the new scaping more, but that triangle rock is still a pain point for me. In the old tank it was resting on the back glass so I could never fully clean all the glass. How it is in here it basically chunks the tank in two and doesn’t give the tang enough of a straight column of water to swim around in my opinion. I also added eggcrate under the rocks because I was leery of just resting the rocks on the glass.

20180413_104502.jpg

Regardless, everyone seems to be enjoying their new home. You can see in this picture just how much the coral degraded. I think that some of the loss can be blamed on the Urchin. That dude got huge and even stabbed the fish quite a few times. I decided that he was just too big for my small 75g. I knew he would be happier in someone else’s much larger tank so he also went to the LFS. I actually went back the next day and he had already been sold to a new home, which made me really happy.

545351952.jpg

Everyone at the office is really enjoying the tank in the common space, and the canopy really cut down on a lot of the smell. Now the tank was set up and didn’t have much life, but brand new sand that obviously needed to go through a cycle so what is the next logical step? Go the LFS and buy a ton of stuff of course! ( I also ordered a cleaner package with snails and hermits)

20180423_161433.jpg

This gorgeous Purple Firefish didn’t last long enough to get a name. Within 30 minutes of going in the tank he went missing. I, optimistically, assumed it just found a hole and hid. The next day we noticed our Starry Blenny’s belly was massive and had a very distinctive profile of an eyeball through it.

20180509_160159.jpg

To me, that picture says, “What dad, I thought he was a treat, Honest!” The plan was to put Oscar in a timeout box and get another small fish and acclimate them for a week. I got an antenna goby who also went missing an hour after being in the tank, however Oscar was in timeout so I assumed hiding again. I spent the next few days compiling a stocklist of “should be” compatible fish and waltzed over to the LFS to see what I could buy.

20180511_131835.jpg

Orange head Fairy Wrasse, Zebra Bar Goby, Firefish, 3 Chromis, Royal Gramma, new Starry Blenny Cleaner Shrimp, a Fire Shrimp, a Sally Lightfoot, some Emerald Crabs, a Fighting Conch, A torch coral, a Jack-o-Lantern Leptoseris and a green Leptoseris. The next day I took Oscar to the LFS. That was hard to do because he had so much personality, but we know for sure he ate one fish and assumed he ate the cleaner before the move as we never found any dried fish during the teardown.

I placed an order online for some more fish, Flasher wrasse, Sunburst Anthias, Green Clown Goby, Sleeper Golden Head Goby, Neon Blue Goby, Orchid Dottyback, Sunrise Dottyback, Springer’s Dottyback. When the Anthias went in the Tang got super aggressive and started nipping at him pretty bad and took a couple chunks out of his fin.

20180521_101253.jpg

All-in-all when they went in the tank I had 16 fish. The Firefish and the Antenna Goby were still missing and we were getting suspicious of the Lantern Bass. A few days later one of my coworkers saw the Lantern Bass with a fish half hanging out of its mouth… The Sleeper Head Goby was half digest by the time the offending fish was captured. The day after that fish went to the LFS the new Starry Blenny died from unknown causes. We didn’t see any signs of aggression on his body, it just appeared like he died. The smallest Chromis went the same way. We saw it struggling and put it in a quarantine tank and the next day it was dead.

Now this is the point I assume you experienced reefers would have sent the flags up, done a full stop and assessed everything. I am so young and have so much to learn.

20180521_101804.jpg

May 28, 2018 I saw the tell-tale spots on my prized fish, Coco. I was crushed. I spent the rest of the day culling through all the research I could to get educated about Ich. After hoping that there was some miracle cure that I could just dump in my tank and make it all go away I resigned myself to the realization that I needed to buckle down and do TTM. I still had the original 20 gallon long sump from my brother and found another on craigslist for $15. Many Amazon purchases later and I have 2 hospitals set up with heaters, hang on skimmers, and some water, and Prazipro to be proactive.

I started to remove all the rocks so I could catch the fish. All told I moved 13 fish to the Hospital Tank, Fairy Wrasse, Zebra Bar Goby, 2 Chromis, Royal Gramma, Flasher Wrasse, Sunburst Anthias, Green Clown Goby, Neon Goby, Orchid DOttyback, Sunrise Dottyback, Springer’s Dottyback, and Coco.

20180531_222409.jpg

Before the first transfer I lost the 2 Chromis and the Orange sided Fairy Wrasse.

20180603_150557.jpg

I think the Orchid Dottyback injured itself against one of the rocks when I was fishing them out.

20180603_151405.jpg

After the first tank transfer most of them looked a good bit better and all visible signs of Ich were gone. I breathed a sigh of relief and counted myself lucky to only have lost the 3 fish to Ich when I hear about so many others losing most or all their fish. Unfortunately, those 3 were just the beginning. The day of the next tank transfer I saw the next 2 victims.

20180605_105431.jpg

I have lost two more since then. The Green Clown Goby died the day of the 3rd transfer and the flasher wrasse died sometime last night. I don’t have pictures of those due to taking the day off. I started to suspect that my ammonia levels were too high since the fish seemed to be all dying on the last day, so I did a test on the last day of the last transfer and got 1 ppm ammonia. When I transferred this last time I added a bottle of Fritz Turbostart 900 to see if that’ll help. 6/9/18 will be the 4th tank transfer and I’ll do another ammonia test to see if it had any effect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Winflakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to all of this, I participated in Legendary Corals Memorial day create your own frag pack. I pulled the trigger on a fairly large order the morning that I discovered the Ich. Never before has the old adage "good things come to those who wait" weighed more heavily on me then the last few days. I was planning on using the 20 gallon to QT the corals for 76 days already, but as I needed that tank for the fish I started scrounging and found a 10 gallon for $15. Since my tank is going to be fallow already and I have seen some unwanted hitchhikers that likely have lived in the tank for years, I decided to go nuclear and do a ground up clean reboot. I ordered some Dry rock from reefcleaners so they will be 100% pest free. This will also make me feel better as I didn't like some of the rocks that came with the tank anyway. My plan is to get a Coral QT set up, frag some of the corals from my current DT and have them sit in the QT with the new purchases for 76 days while the new DT cycles and gets going.

I emailed Darwin at Legendary Corals about how Murphy's Law was kicking my butt, and he offered to keep the corals for an extended period to allow me time to set up the QT. That is some real grade A customer service. Top marks in my book.

My dry rock will be here next week and I look forward to posting some ideas for aquascaping for the community to levy their opinions on.

I set up my 10 gallon QT and got water in it and ran into an odd issue. I left the tank overnight after filling with saltwater and turning the heater and powerhead on and came into work the next day and it had a pretty bad film and haze. I checked the ammonia and they read 0. Here is a picture of the bottom from when I was draining:
20180604_122316.jpg

I made some new saltwater and left it for another day and got this:
20180606_103748.jpg

I'm at a loss for words. I'm using the same salt that I've been using since I started. To make matters weirder, when I filled the tank the first time, I also used the same saltwater to fill the 20 gallon hospital and it didn't have any issues whatsoever. If anyone has any Ideas I'm all ears as I really need to get this set up and cycled ASAP for the corals.

Sorry for the long rant. I wanted to get it all out there for the communities benefit.

Going forward I plan to do things slow and planned out and with the Reef2Reef's combined input and expertise. The posts on this website have been invaluable to me from day 1, even though I rushed so much ignoring the advice to move slowly.

- Winflakes

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along for the ride. You may want to double check your picture links, none of them are showing up :)

OP
OP
W

Winflakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along for the ride. You may want to double check your picture links, none of them are showing up :)

Thanks for the heads up. I have lurked forums for a long time but never really posted in them so it doesn't shock me that I messed something up. When I look at the post I see all the pictures, but I edited them to hopefully include the pictures. Can anyone let me know if they see the pictures/if there are duplicates?

- Winflakes

OP
OP
W

Winflakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update for today. Got the 10 gallon reset two days ago and it stayed clear overnight! I forgot my shims at home so it is slightly off-level but I'll easily fix that tomorrow.
20180612_162954.jpg

I did my last transfer on my fish. 6 alive is the current number and I hope to keep them all alive till the DT is ready to go. Only two have names (Coco the Powder Brown Tang and Music Tunes the Bar Goby [that's the wife's addition]), so I need to work on some names for the 4 remaining fish that have survived Ich and ammonia spikes. If any of you want to weigh in, I'm all ears.
20180612_163107.jpg

The torch is still looking great in the DT. One of the Lepto's got dislodged and buried and the other seems to be struggling pretty hard. I have it in what I assume is a low flow and low light area of the tank. My guess is that my nutrients are way outta wack. Hoping that moving him to the QT and testing 2x a week or more will bring it back.
20180613_144222.jpg

I also found what looks like a bunch of eggs, and some sort of isopod or amphipod or something . I'm going to post them to the hitchhiker ID to see if anyone has an Idea. They aren't going to be an issue after I tear down and sanitize, just my curiosity.
20180613_152831.jpg

Lastly, I will be getting my corals tomorrow and am excited to share them here. I planned out a pretty lengthy process because I want a very much pest free system. My plan is as follows, I'll acclimate the corals in a bucket with drip method for an hour. After they are acclimated I will remove them from their frag plugs and glue them to new frag plugs. Then they will all go into a Coral RX dip followed by a tank-water rinse. Next is a Bayer dip and a tank-water rinse. Lastly is an Iodine dip and a final tank-water rinse. They will then be placed in the Coral QT for observation. Assuming this gets them all, they will stay in the QT for 76 days on the off chance one of them is hosting some Ich. During that time I'll be checking Monday-Friday for any signs of parasite.

My dry rock is also scheduled to arrive on Friday, so I'll be able to start planning that out.

- Winflakes

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Winflakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thursday I got my corals in from @Legendary Corals. Packaging looked great with styrofoam on all 6 sides and peanuts put on top with a cooling bag.
714506-7cb845bab784e56313d7bba49a912491.jpg

As these were acclimating I got my dip station set up...
714501-50d13e8f26cbf2b75b46a048867cdcf1.jpg

714502-70dfea554b241a0f9e7767f60d4a0990.jpg

It took a long time, but I got all but 3 transferred to new plugs and went through the dips. 3 of the corals I wasn't confident in being able to frag without killing them yet. I gave them an extra hard scrutinization during the dips.
Here is what they looked like 18 hours later.
714503-32bd840cd56078cfe312c1e3c269fbcf.jpg

I also got my rocks in Friday evening.
714499-0873d8ddea8830e3dbbf2f5db2f9ff5e.jpg

I'm headed out of town on Tuesday for a week. I'll post a picture tomorrow of the rocks in a make shift cardboard tank I put together yesterday.

- Winflakes

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back