Winter is coming! Tank temp through the cold months?

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This summer I switched from keeping freshwater to my very first reef tank and I must say, I am having more fun in reef hobby than I ever did in the hightech planted tank hobby...

I have made every effort possible to keep the (room) tank temperature as close to 77F as possible, summers here in SoCal are long and hot so a few nights it did creep up to 80F, but everyone made it through and we are almost through the woods going into the cooler months.

With that said, what temperature should I aim to maintain during the winter months? I think I should shoot for around 72F, but If I can get away with keeping it cooler, that would be better. I don't have a heater in my house and I will be relying entirely on a tank heater to keep the temps where they need to be, the closer I can keep it to the unheated room temp, the less that heater is going to have to work.

Current stocking:

Fish:
- clownfish
- foxface
- scopas tang
- lawnmower blenny
- firefish
- antenna goby
- diamond watchman goby
- Royal grama dottyback

Coral:
- Kenya tree
- hairy mushroom
- toadstool
- frogspawn
- hammer coral
- torch coral
- GSP
- Elegance Coral
- green goni
- green finger leather
- branching duncan
- cluster duncan
- green candy cane
- blue candy cane
- feather duster

5E7u0wA.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Safe range is 77-79

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my house can get to 50F during the winter, how big of a heater would I need to keep my 55 gallon tank at 77?

I would suggest two smaller heaters for redundancy. If one sticks on, the other will stay off, that's if you don't have a heater controller. I would use two 50 watt heaters for a tank that size.

seahorsebill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This summer I switched from keeping freshwater to my very first reef tank and I must say, I am having more fun in reef hobby than I ever did in the hightech planted tank hobby...

I have made every effort possible to keep the (room) tank temperature as close to 77F as possible, summers here in SoCal are long and hot so a few nights it did creep up to 80F, but everyone made it through and we are almost through the woods going into the cooler months.

With that said, what temperature should I aim to maintain during the winter months? I think I should shoot for around 72F, but If I can get away with keeping it cooler, that would be better. I don't have a heater in my house and I will be relying entirely on a tank heater to keep the temps where they need to be, the closer I can keep it to the unheated room temp, the less that heater is going to have to work.

Current stocking:

Fish:
- clownfish
- foxface
- scopas tang
- lawnmower blenny
- firefish
- antenna goby
- diamond watchman goby
- Royal grama dottyback

Coral:
- Kenya tree
- hairy mushroom
- toadstool
- frogspawn
- hammer coral
- torch coral
- GSP
- Elegance Coral
- green goni
- green finger leather
- branching duncan
- cluster duncan
- green candy cane
- blue candy cane
- feather duster

5E7u0wA.jpg
I don’t use a heater I let my tanks remain at room temp

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back