Wiring a Ranco temp controller?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into buying a ranco for controlling two heaters. The you tube instructions I find use a single outlet extension cord. Could I use a multiple outlet extension cord for my controller instead of plugging my heaters into power strips like the are now?

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each heater if used at the same time could be plugged into the same cord coming from the Ranco if your using 1 stage of heating, if the total watts of both heaters do not exceed the Ranco output max amps of that stage.
What’s the Ranco model # you are looking at ?

OP
OP
fish farmer

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each heater if used at the same time could be plugged into the same cord coming from the Ranco if your using 1 stage of heating, if the total watts of both heaters do not exceed the Ranco output max amps of that stage.
What’s the Ranco model # you are looking at ?

The single stage ETC 111000-000. I currently run two heaters a 100 watt and a 150 watt.

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,
That is a basic one and the contacts are rated for 15 amp (resistive, which is what you will be doing with it)
You can cut the end off of an old multiple ended household type lighting extension cord and plug both heaters into it.

The only thing you should be aware of, is that all the Ranco sensors are not to be immersed in any type of water at all, these are made for sensing only air temperatures.
If you want to sense water, then a “well” would be placed in the water and then the sensor placed in the well.

You can get 1/2” clear pvc heat shrink tubing and cut it to a height higher than your tank or sump (wherever your putting it) then heat up the bottom of the tubing gently, pinch that end closed and wait for it to cool before releasing pressure. Place the tubing vertically in the water and put the sensor inside the tubing (objective is to have the tubing water tight and with the sensor inside the tubing never getting wet)

Alternative to this is to just coat the complete sensor and wiring in clear silicone so water won’t be in contact with any of it.

If none of this is done, the sensor and wiring will deteriorate and need to be replaced eventually.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back