Outlet turns OFF when temp drops????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue

Why is my controller outlet turning OFF when the temp falls below my range (77f nominal with hysteresis of 2)?

Obviously I want the outlet with heater plugged in to remain on if the temp drops. I only want the outlet off if the temp rises….

This should be so easy to setup basic heater control, but instead here I am………

IMG_0446.png IMG_0448.png

IMG_0449.png

OP
OP
Ky_acc

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response

I just was testing this by taking probe out in the room which is cool this time of year. Probe went down in the 60s and the switch kicked off and stayed off

Its almost inverted or something, but maybe I’ll try a cycle

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW the instructions for heater control is in the Knowledge Base. It also explains the purpose of the "Deactivate control" option. Did you look at this?

OP
OP
Ky_acc

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA - I did read through this and followed that guide

“If you want to turn OFF your heater when the temp reading goes outside the allowed deviation, ENABLE Deactivate control”

based on what this says and what I’m seeing Does this mean the controller turns off the heater outlet if it’s outside the Range, either above or below? That’s crazy if so, I hope I’m misunderstanding

Right now my temp is out of range and I’m not getting an alarm or notification… this is really concerning me and second guessing how reliable this is

IMG_0452.jpeg IMG_0453.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ky_acc

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks - im not a Nobel laureate, but im also not an idiot

Why is the temp setup here so difficult to understand?

Hysteresis is a terrible word to use here -- why is there not simply a max and min for when the socket shuts on and off and then a max and min for when an alarm triggers

Im honestly baffled by how absurd GHLs programming is.......\

There is ZERO reason any of what we are discussing here needs to require this level of complexity.

OP
OP
Ky_acc

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks - im not a Nobel laureate, but im also not an idiot

Why is the temp setup here so difficult to understand?

Hysteresis is a terrible word to use here -- why is there not simply a max and min for when the socket shuts on and off and then a max and min for when an alarm triggers

Im honestly baffled by how absurd GHLs programming is.......

Im seriously on the verge of scrapping this entire GHL system -- the outlet keeps switching OFF when the temp falls BELOW my set range if I enable "deactivate control" -- it should only do this if its ABOVE my set range

WHAT IS GOING ON - this is mind boggling

OP
OP
Ky_acc

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are all my settings -- why is the switch socket for my heater turning OFF when I enable "deactivate control" when the temp is BELOW my set range???????????

there is also no explanation of "deactivate control" on the help guides -- this is another terrible word choice I continued to be absolutely in awe of how shockingly unintuitive this GHL experience has been

I was REALLY excited to make the switch to GHL but this is unfathomably obtuse and making me reconsider switching back to APEX as at least I could set my heater control and alarms in a way that made an ounce of sense... this is just insane

IMG_0455.png IMG_0456.png

IMG_0457.png IMG_0458.png

OP
OP
Ky_acc

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this issue seems to be fixed when on my socket I select “invert” switching behavior

Why in the world would this be the case? I should not have to invert when I set the function to HEATER. I would expect the exact opposite, I would have to invert if I set function to cooler

Please @Vinny@GHLUSA help me understand this, as I’m completely lost by the logic on display here

ALSO what is the relation between HYSTERESIS under "probe / sensor controls" and MAX DEVIATION under "Alarm" ??

My understanding is that hysteresis of 2 degrees = 1 degree over and 1 degree under, is that the same for max deviation? or is a max deviation of 2 degrees = 2 degrees over AND 2 degrees under?

THIS REALLY SHOULD NOT BE THIS COMPLEX AND SHOULD BE VERY CLEARLY DEFINED IN THE GUIDES, however it is NOT!

IMG_0460.jpeg

Last edited:

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your ranco settings. It may be conflicting with the programming on the ProfiLux. The instructions in the KB are correct.

OP
OP
Ky_acc

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could it be conflicting? It turns on at 1 degree below 77 and turns off at 76 degrees

My GHL is shutting down the outlet based on the GHL probe readings

I’m creating another thread to document this absurd issue

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could it be conflicting? It turns on at 1 degree below 77 and turns off at 76 degrees

My GHL is shutting down the outlet based on the GHL probe readings

I’m creating another thread to document this absurd issue
Your Ranco ON/OFF settings should be set to a wider range than what you entered in the P4 otherwise, it will override the P4's heater control and turn it off prematurely.

Create the thread as you wish, but if you are looking for a solution and direct help from GHL, you know where to reach us.

OP
OP
Ky_acc

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA

No it’s not the ranco how could it be. The GHL controller is turning off the outlet that the ranco is plugged into, the ranco can’t turnoff the GHL outlet….. am I misunderstanding what you are saying? Why would the ranco be set higher than GHL range

I want the GHL act as a failsafe and let the ranco controller handle to minor temp adjustments. If I let GHL handle the adjustments that would just put wear on both the Powerbar outlet and the ranco controller ? I’m confused with what you are saying i think?

I DO NEED HELP as this P4 controller is either broken or I have a Huge misunderStanding of how this works (I don’t think that’s the case as I follwed the official guide exactly)

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My best advice is lose the Apex programming mindset. The German way of going about programming is way different. Start by asking your specific questions and you’ll get the answers you want. It’s a big change from Apex, but the hardware and control is no comparison. Keep the GHL and tackle each scenario one by one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back