Wisdom Wednesday: feeding frozen

Disagree with both statements. Randy's article changed my mind about rinsing long ago, and feeding my own frozen food I just put the froze chunk in a plastic lattice and my fish tear it apart before it thaws.
 
I used to always rinse my frozen food until I read Randy Holmes Farley's article and haven't rinsed since, just thaw in tank water and dump it in. Now 2 different thread on how you should always rinse your food....... What to do?
 
They sell mini mesh strainers at grocery stores, not sure what they are used for but they make a perfect strainer for frozen fish food. I don't think it's that bad to just thaw the food and dump it in, but I prefer not to see the cloudy looking water in my tank. So I strain it and rinse with RO water. I then soak it in garlic over night in the refrigerator. I usually prepare a couple days worth of food and keep it in a condiment bottle in the refrigerator
 
I used to always rinse my frozen food until I read Randy Holmes Farley's article and haven't rinsed since, just thaw in tank water and dump it in. Now 2 different thread on how you should always rinse your food....... What to do?

Bet you saw zero difference between feeding methods.
 
I used to always rinse my frozen food until I read Randy Holmes Farley's article and haven't rinsed since, just thaw in tank water and dump it in. Now 2 different thread on how you should always rinse your food....... What to do?

When in doubt....uhhh? Lol! Randy's article/blog/discovery/etc is nothing to ignore, though he also says its user preference as well. We all have our ways and none are wrong...unless of course you put a whole frozen turkey in the tank!
 
When in doubt....uhhh? Lol! Randy's article/blog/discovery/etc is nothing to ignore, though he also says its user preference as well. We all have our ways and none are wrong...unless of course you put a whole frozen turkey in the tank!

What? I figured they would like a nice Thanksgiving dinner as well. Dang you ruined the Holidays for my fish. :)
 
When in doubt....uhhh? Lol! Randy's article/blog/discovery/etc is nothing to ignore, though he also says its user preference as well. We all have our ways and none are wrong...unless of course you put a whole frozen turkey in the tank!

Lol, like anything else I guess it depends on who you ask ? I think I'll take the lazy man's way out and choose not to rinse :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new