Wish list for 90 gal limited reef tank

Fish'n'chips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer to the hobby, getting back in after 20 years & limited experience.
setting up a 90gal limited reef tank (just a few corals).
wanted to post my wish list for feedback on potential challenges w/ compatibility.
I currently have a mated pair of black ocellaris clowns, a coral beauty, a flamefish, & a cleanup crew consisting of a brittle star, a horseshoe crab, a margarita snail, a turbo snail, & 4 tiny red leg hermit crabs.
The tank has a 30 gal sump w/ a chaeto refugium (starting to seed copepods).
My wish list going forward is:
a blue tang
a onespot foxface
a paired goby & shrimp
a dragonet of some kind
I also want an anemone for the clowns, a frogspawn coral, & maybe some zoanthids down the road.
Does it work?

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those fish should coexist. Depending on which blue tang you mean (pacific blue tang vs hippo tang), you may encounter bullying problems if you go with the pacific blue tang. You would want to add it last to avoid territoriality. Also, dragonets need a steady supply of copepods, so I wouldn't add one for at least a year. All those fish are considered reef safe, but watch the foxface since some have been reported to eat fleshy corals. Also, they have venomous spines so make sure you are careful when putting your hand in the tank.

My advice would be to keep reading threads especially on Reef2Reef. I would also watch BRS videos since they walk you through about almost everything on their videos.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer to the hobby, getting back in after 20 years & limited experience.
setting up a 90gal limited reef tank (just a few corals).
wanted to post my wish list for feedback on potential challenges w/ compatibility.
I currently have a mated pair of black ocellaris clowns, a coral beauty, a flamefish, & a cleanup crew consisting of a brittle star, a horseshoe crab, a margarita snail, a turbo snail, & 4 tiny red leg hermit crabs.
The tank has a 30 gal sump w/ a chaeto refugium (starting to seed copepods).
My wish list going forward is:
a blue tang
a onespot foxface
a paired goby & shrimp
a dragonet of some kind
I also want an anemone for the clowns, a frogspawn coral, & maybe some zoanthids down the road.
Does it work?

No. A Blue Tang (Dory) needs a minimum of 180 gallons to house it throughout it's life. Keep in mind the fish gets a foot long and about 7 inches in height and is an open water swimming fish by nature that travels miles from reef to reef. The one spot is listed for a 70 gallon minimum on LA but honestly when it gets full grown it is going to be cramped in a 4 foot long tank. No on the Dragonet at this point as well as they require a long established copepod population to survive (ie a tank where you have been stocking copepods for a year or more) and even if they learn to eat frozen foods they still need them as they graze constantly. The Goby and the Shrimp should work. A Yellow Tang could work in that tank as could a number of the smaller bristletooth varieties. Do you have corals in your tank? If not then it opens it up for a small butterflyfish or maybe a dwarf angel.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, you and I have the exact same size tank.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the Tang - look at my tank build - its also around 90 gallons and there is a lot of interesting fishes you can have in a tank of that size.

Sincerely Lasse

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back