With The Great Barrie Reef Bleaching, Where Are Company's Getting Live Rock ?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because live rock has hitch hikers like Majano Anemones, Aiptasia Anemones, Mantis shrimp, pistol shrimp. Coral eating Nudibranchs, sea spiders, Asterina starfish, unwanted algae and more. My tank has been pest free since day one. Dry rock is cheaper too. You could go with Real Reef Solutions rock, it's just expensive. https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/r...K0MkWCiSV0dNO1lOdLNGI3YTdXSfw9JQaAs8BEALw_wcB
It's best to buy dry rock and cure it. Use Reefbright Live Rock Enhance. That way you know for sure you don't introduce harmful pests to your tank. It's 2.99/lb at BRS. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-reef-saver-dry-aquarium-live-rock.html
Do you have any input on the Great Barrier Reef and Australian rock specifically?

Again, I don’t know too much about the specifics of the Great Barrier Reef, but perhaps it’s also important to focus on ocean acidification, in addition to bleaching, and it’s impact on the integrity and productivity of the reef-building corals, the rock they form, and the shell-building hitchhikers and calcareous macroalgae that inhabit the rock.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any input on the Great Barrier Reef and Australian rock specifically?

Again, I don’t know too much about the specifics of the Great Barrier Reef, but perhaps it’s also important to focus on ocean acidification, in addition to bleaching, and it’s impact on the integrity and productivity of the reef-building corals, the rock they form, and the shell-building hitchhikers and calcareous macroalgae that inhabit the rock.
I used to get live rock from Walt Weiss but I experienced all I stated above so I started buying dry rock and cultivating it myself.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy Australian live rock here:

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I don’t get the whole dry rock craze at all. If I wanted sterile I’d fill the tank with bleach.
The goal isn’t to have a sterile tank, people who start with dry rock like to take advantage of the fact that they can buy specific shapes, sizes, aqua scape without water and of course start pest free. I don’t think anyone wants a sterile tank, it’s just that the biggest disadvantage is that it takes years for that rock to become live.

I personally have had the best success with 70% dry and 30% live because I wanted a very specific aquascape but I didn’t start thinking “I want my tank to be sterile”.

I feel like the best option is the cultured stuff from places like Tampa saltwater. Of course there are big giant dummies out there that think man made rock can’t be live. Dude at my LFS tried to tell me that “real” live rock grows and man made rock doesn’t. People are stupid and don’t deserve this hobby.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The goal isn’t to have a sterile tank, people who start with dry rock like to take advantage of the fact that they can buy specific shapes, sizes, aqua scape without water and of course start pest free. I don’t think anyone wants a sterile tank, it’s just that the biggest disadvantage is that it takes years for that rock to become live.

I personally have had the best success with 70% dry and 30% live because I wanted a very specific aquascape but I didn’t start thinking “I want my tank to be sterile”.

I feel like the best option is the cultured stuff from places like Tampa saltwater. Of course there are big giant dummies out there that think man made rock can’t be live. Dude at my LFS tried to tell me that “real” live rock grows and man made rock doesn’t. People are stupid and don’t deserve this hobby.
Yeah, I guess I’m old school. I don’t really worry about all the possible hitchhikers, that stuff doesn’t bother me. I’ve been doing this for 30 years now as both a hobbyist and a professional in the industry. I have seen all the fads come and go. Setting up a tank with live rock is easy and works so that is what I will continue to do. If people want to go the dry rock route with bottles of bacteria because BRStv or some youtuber says thats how you should setup your tank now that is their prerogative. Good luck either way.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,.....I know about live rock. My post is not about curing rock, white or other. etc.....

I'm just asking about collecting rock from the Great Barrier Reef, since the corals are bleaching because of higher water temperatures. I would assume the live rock is also being affected ?

So how can these companies collect the rock and sell as ''live'' ?
Hasn't Australia banded collecting ? Maybe I'm wrong, but since the reef is dying I thought the government has stepped up and outlawed collecting ?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,.....I know about live rock. My post is not about curing rock, white or other. etc.....

I'm just asking about collecting rock from the Great Barrier Reef, since the corals are bleaching because of higher water temperatures. I would assume the live rock is also being affected ?

Hasn't Australia banded collecting ? Maybe I'm wrong, but since the reef is dying I thought the government has stepped up and outlawed collecting ?
The seller I'm aware of that is currently collecting and selling live rock from the GBR has the necessary paperwork to collect legally (from what I've heard). The key is sustainable collection vs. overcollection.

With regards to the live rock being affected - most bacteria species that I'm aware of in the ocean actually prefer/grow better in higher temperatures, so the impact on the "liveness" of the live rock is probably minimal (it might change a few of the species colonizing the rock, or it might change the numbers of a few of the species colonizing the rock, but - for aquarium purposes - the difference wouldn't really matter).

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I guess I’m old school. I don’t really worry about all the possible hitchhikers, that stuff doesn’t bother me. I’ve been doing this for 30 years now as both a hobbyist and a professional in the industry. I have seen all the fads come and go. Setting up a tank with live rock is easy and works so that is what I will continue to do. If people want to go the dry rock route with bottles of bacteria because BRStv or some youtuber says thats how you should setup your tank now that is their prerogative. Good luck either way.
I am very proud of you and your boomer energy but sometimes folks do different things and that's ok. No need to be bitter about it.

Also,

For the record...I do agree that worrying about hitchhikers seems pointless as even reefs that started out with all dry rock are still going to eventually get snails and other pests that dips don't kill. Unless they plan on putting fake corals and snails in the tank too.

I think the whole "stack with live rock but put the fake cool shaped stuff on top" is the best of both worlds. You get that sexy coral real estate using those dry rock shapes like arches and rings but still have some level of biodiversity to start with so you're not waiting a year for the tank to establish. I don't like the look of the old school stacked tank full of basic rock boulders with all my SPS on top, I like that tiered "stadium seating" look so I can use of every last bit of rock real estate for SPS corals.

Last edited:

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are sites where collecting is designated in specific areas and legal, some of the factors that effect coral health may not effect life on the rock themselves. Live rock isn't really "rock full of corals" it's rock with diverse life (algae, pods, small critters, bacteria, sponges and sometimes corals). It looks like a lot of the larger live rock websites are selling stuff that was dropped into the ocean and cultured from some time and almost none of it gets picked off large scale living reefs. Reefs in the ocean are scattered about everywhere and I think some of that south and indo-pacific is usually rubble that has broken away.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I don’t get the whole dry rock craze at all. If I wanted sterile I’d fill the tank with bleach.
Wait? That’s not what you’re supposed to do? I thought you buy "live rock" pour in a cup of bleach, then some Prime, then some Dr. Tim's? Oh, I must be doing this all wrong...
P.S. For your new reefer's searching on the internet, I was being Sarcastic, so don't pour bleach in your fresh live rock...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

People buy live rock for the bacteria and smaller organisms which are likely doing just fine.

If it wasn't live then people wouldn't pay $30 a lb for it :)

It may be that whatever they are collecting is sustainable. There are plenty of corals being collected and sold from Australia.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GBR is overall in a long-term decline. However articles like the 91% bleaching do not in any way mean the GBR is 91% dead. It is an estimate to what portion of the reef was experiencing some bleaching. Large bleaching events take place and often within a year or two much of that area is just as healthy as before. Again longterm decline and a reason for concern I agree with....but not the "whole thing is dead" hyperbole.

As others pointed out bleaching events does not kill the bacteria and critters in the rocks generally...especially in short term.

Then understand that the GBR is larger than the landmass of Georgia and Florida combined. There is more than enough rock to take some without having any real impact on the reef if it is harvested in responsible ways

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am very proud of you and your boomer energy but sometimes folks do different things and that's ok. No need to be bitter about it.

Also,

For the record...I do agree that worrying about hitchhikers seems pointless as even reefs that started out with all dry rock are still going to eventually get snails and other pests that dips don't kill. Unless they plan on putting fake corals and snails in the tank too.

I think the whole "stack with live rock but put the fake cool shaped stuff on top" is the best of both worlds. You get that sexy coral real estate using those dry rock shapes like arches and rings but still have some level of biodiversity to start with so you're not waiting a year for the tank to establish. I don't like the look of the old school stacked tank full of basic rock boulders with all my SPS on top, I like that tiered "stadium seating" look so I can use of every last bit of rock real estate for SPS corals.
haha…thanks. Not bitter nor am I a “boomer”. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend mostly dry live rock with some real live rock to seed it. Allows for all sorts of shape options, but also start your tank off with biodiversity,

IME the worst hitchhikers are not from live rock, they come from corals and other additions you put in later.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%

Back