With The Great Barrie Reef Bleaching, Where Are Company's Getting Live Rock ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see several company's that are selling live reef rock from the Great Barrier Reef, which is almost dead from bleaching, so how much rock is left ?

Last edited:

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the Unique Corals was importing their rock from Carins which is located in the Great Barrier Reef according to Wikipedia. This is real live rock, not maricultured.
I don’t know much about the specifics about the Great Barrier Reef’s bleaching and the impacts of increased temperature on live rock hitchhikers, but I would assume increased coral mortality to bleaching would result in more rock :confused:.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you not heard or read this and more ?

"Devastating’: 91% of reefs surveyed on Great Barrier Reef affected by coral bleaching in 2022''.

I have no idea how Australia regulates live rock collection, but bottom line, if it's not illegal, people will do it. And while a lot of the GBR might be "affected", that doesn't mean "dead", and even 9% of the GBR is quite a large amount.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the Unique Corals was importing their rock from Carins which is located in the Great Barrier Reef according to Wikipedia. This is real live rock, not maricultured.
I don’t know much about the specifics about the Great Barrier Reef’s bleaching and the impacts of increased temperature on live rock hitchhikers, but I would assume increased coral mortality to bleaching would result in more rock :confused:.
THIS IS A VERY GOOD POINT... "Live rock" isn't the same as "live coral". Meaning, "live rock" is dead coral (or limestone, etc when maricultured) that other life - bacterial and otherwise - has colonized, as opposed to being a live piece of any particular coral.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for linking the CBS article - I see similar articles about the declining conditions on the GBR very very often and of course it is concerning. And I wonder why we see Australian corals/rock/livestock for sale at all based on these reports? I've traveled to Australia and was amazed how strick the country was regarding import/export of food/seeds/animals. Surely if it was true the GBR was in such dire straits as this article portrays something would change. Or perhaps the majority of the articles are a little overstated? Have you researched any deeper than mainstream news articles?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be in Carins next week for 2 days of diving, and one day in the bush, and will tell you if the reef is dead. (smile)
and indeed the sites for harvested "mariculture rock" are not on the reef, and the factors that are bleaching corals in places are not directly affecting the quality of reef priming live rock

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I don’t get the whole dry rock craze at all. If I wanted sterile I’d fill the tank with bleach.
Because live rock has hitch hikers like Majano Anemones, Aiptasia Anemones, Mantis shrimp, pistol shrimp. Coral eating Nudibranchs, sea spiders, Asterina starfish, unwanted algae and more. My tank has been pest free since day one. Dry rock is cheaper too. You could go with Real Reef Solutions rock, it's just expensive. https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/r...K0MkWCiSV0dNO1lOdLNGI3YTdXSfw9JQaAs8BEALw_wcB

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LOT of corals have bleached along with corals and rock.
Rock can’t bleach
You clearly have seen a couple news headlines and run with it without actually looking into anything further.

here’s another news article also from this year saying the GBR has the highest coral coverage in 30 years.
But it’s almost dead right?

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back