Women in Reefing

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope you are staying safe and giving your aquatic friends some attention.

I was recently a guest on Saltwater Aquarium Radio and Jeff Hesketh and I chatted about Women in Reefing.
The first official meetup of the group was at MACNA 2018 and Kevin Erickson's support of the group and meeting was wonderful. The group is active on facebook and I'd like to invite all women reefers to join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/womeninreefing/
It's just a space to share your tanks, ask questions, say hi. The group has innovators, breeders, curators, and regular women like me that enjoy this hobby tremendously.
womeninreefing.jpg

Rev invited me to start a thread to talk about Women in Reefing. Would be great to hear from women in the hobby on what got you started, and about the support you get whether from your partner, your family, the local fish store, online friends. What keeps you going, and coming back to that box of ocean?

It was great to collaborate on Instagram with other women on a message during these times.
Follow me on IG https://www.instagram.com/metrokat/
Collaboration.jpg

If you'd like to listen to the podcast here's the link: http://saltwateraquariumradio.com/sar073/

podcast.jpg

Let's see those aquariums ladies.

Last edited:

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lady reefer right here! Been doing this since about 1993. I've seen a lot of changes...but one thing that hasn't changed a lot is how many women are in the hobby. Definitely need more ladies reefing.

I met my (now) husband of almost 14 years at MACNA Boston way back when.

We have a 300 gallon SPS dominant reef and a Waterbox Frag anemone set up.

Even though we met through the hobby, I'm the one that babies the tanks and does 99% of the purchasing and maintenance. And I'm totally okay with that! :)

I also have my bachelor's in marine biology but don't work in the field anymore.

AgeofAquariumsKirstyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I met Kat at Reefapalooza CA last year and since I’ve met and connected with sooo many wonderful women on Instagram! I’m a manager at a LFS (Age of Aquariums in Signal Hill, CA) and I have a bachelors in Marine Biology. I do consider myself an expert in marine fish disease identification and treatment as well as freshwater aquatic plants.
I remember an old reefbuilders article speculating the reasons why there are so few women in the hobby and a major reason was that women in general have a more sensitive sense of smell! So... empty those skimmer cups and keep on reefing!
Find me on Instagram Instagram.com/age_of_aquariums

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread! I started my first reef tank in 2008, a 46-gallon bowfront. During that time, I had maintained a FW tank since about 1993 and added 2 mantis tanks after my first reef tank (partly to appease one of my teenage sons and partly to appease me!). Having a reef tank was always a dream of mine. I moved around growing up, but I always lived on the coast...from Louisiana to Maryland to Puerto Rico to Miami to further up the east coast of Florida. I always figured I'd be a marine biologist, but I ended up an accountant...go figure. About 6 years ago, I upgraded to a 90-gallon reef tank. I decided on that size because I'm not "young" and figured that size was manageable, as long as I could keep lugging 3-5 gallon jugs of water around. It's so funny to me when "guys" come to the house for repairs and whatever...they always assume my husband is in charge the tank and are surprised when it's mine! I've had some amazing saltwater tank discussions over the years with plumbers, electricians, deck replacement companies, etc. My husband wouldn't have the first clue how to do a water change, etc. He has been known to fill up the ATO and feed the fish when I'm out of town, but only if I give VERY SPECIFIC instructions. I have 5 grandchildren, who are mesmerized by the tank! My husband loves golf. I love my tank! :)

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Got into reefing with my husband about 18 years ago. We left the hobby for a while and just jumped back in a couple of months ago... And guess who's been maintaining the tank? ME! lol

Nice to *meet* you all! :)

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are the girls tanks better looking then my tank! What has this world come too!

JK, my tank is better.

Glad to see there’s more people in reefing coming online!
What took you ladies so long?
wish I could get my wife into reefing! She’d rather complain about the running costs...

kidding by the way! Your tanks are fantastic looking!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many more lady reefers now than there used to be. Awesome! I remember a few years back buying an anemone from a local reefer. After chatting with him and his fiancé it became quite obvious that she was the brains of the operation .... he was kind of a knuckle head.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seven tanks! How big are they?

I’m a guy who’s starting out and one will already be a handful for me haha. Good job!

Now, if only I could find a female reefer who’s preferably more experienced than me lol. And we hit it off.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your captivating contributions and colorful captive reefs caught my attention 8 years ago in the Nano-Reef community. You were the fearless female in a male-dominated community. I remember being impressed by your whimsical writing, quick-wit, and aquarium artisanship.

You have a magnetic personality, Kat. The proof's right there ^ in that picture.

I know you've transitioned to bigger and better things these days. But in my book, you're still the OG influencer in reefkeeping. #metrokat

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back