Wondering Anemone sulcata's compatibility with clownfish?

athew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you all, this is Ahmet, from İzmir, Turkey. I just setup a rougly 20 gallons of a saltwater aquarium. Everything, including the saltwater, is from the Sea.
I have 4 anemone sulcata(snakelock anemone), one of them is a very big one, are doing okay at the moment. I feed them with frozen shrimp.
I tooked some not so good pictures and i want to share.
Lastly, is it possible to host clownfish on an anemone sulcata? Any experience? Some people say snakelock stings very bad. But it was not an issue for me. I collected them with bare hands. It might be possible to keep with clownfish.

20210413_093702.jpg 20210413_093622.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested to hear if people have tried this. Years ago, I got some A. viridis, but I kept them in cool water, so never considered adding a clownfish. I would guess that clowns would react to these in a similar fashion as they do Condylactus anemones, that is, rarely hosting in them. I was always taught that snake locks anemones had a more potent sting though. If you do try it, go for a larger species of clown, perhaps a frenatus or Clarkii.

Remember, this anemone species does best with good water flow and good lighting.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

athew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested to hear if people have tried this. Years ago, I got some A. viridis, but I kept them in cool water, so never considered adding a clownfish. I would guess that clowns would react to these in a similar fashion as they do Condylactus anemones, that is, rarely hosting in them. I was always taught that snake locks anemones had a more potent sting though. If you do try it, go for a larger species of clown, perhaps a frenatus or Clarkii.

Remember, this anemone species does best with good water flow and good lighting.

Jay
A very nice experience, dear Jay.

I love clarkii. I might try but I am not confident enough for the safety of clarkii.
I heated the water 25 degree celcius and the salinity is 1028 ppt original sea water.

I agree with a moderate flow. I will add a wave pump for that. But seemingly they are okay with a low flow at the moment. Direct flow makes them to move to a less flow area, mostly in between two rocks.

The place where I found these anemones is a rocky shores up to 2-3 feets and mostly very shallow waters. It is my observation that the anemones' color does not pop very well under blue light. I may need to add 65k light for more vibrant color. Also I added some mud and macro algae from nearby place that IMO blue light does not make justice for green leaves of macro algaes as well.

Upvote 0
Back