Wondering if I should remove chaeto

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank got plagued hard by bubble algae about 6 months ago. I added a foxface fish to help and he has been eating it a bit but not as fast as it reproduces.

So I started using Vibrant and it has helped a lot.

My chaeto this whole time has stopped growing. It’s been kinda withering away.

I’m wondering if I should remove my chaeto because maybe it’s dying and fueling the bubble algae?

Or should I just keep it all in there and keep doing vibrant until all the bubble algae is dead and hope that the chaeto bounces back afterwards...

Thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might reduce the amount, but I wouldn't remove it all at once. Stuff grows fast and if it is still removing nutrients stopping that export by removal might cause other problems. Reducing the amount, it would leave the chance for the remaining chaeto to grow if it is still exporting.

OP
OP
M

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok maybe if I just make it smaller it will grow again.

It hasn’t grown at all for 6 months. It use to become massive monthly and I’d have to trim it

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is chaeto photo period? What kind and how many watts of light are on it.

Bubble algae in my DT died way down after my chaeto took off. I still have some spots (mostly low flow / low light).

Chaeto may not directly compete with bubble for all nutrients, but it does put a dent in bubble algae.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a look at the official Vibrant thread you will see that it is actually recommended to remove your chaeto as Vibrant will feed off of it and eventually kill it the same as any other algae.

Take it out and put it aside in a QT or something similar with flow, light and nutrients. Put it back in when you are happy that vibrant has killed enough bubble algae. Perhaps wait a week before adding it.

Hope this helps
Zane

OP
OP
M

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it seems to be killing the bubble algae faster luckily.

My lights are on over the chaeto for about 12hrs a day. Like I said it used to be growing like crazy. I was giving it to locals by the bag every month. I am sure its the Vibrant that has stopped it growing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back