Woodworking, must have tools?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite woodworking tool is my 10" radial arm saw. I use that thing almost every week and would have trouble living without it.

keithp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do all sorts of projects with just my circular saw and drill and a few clamps of different types and 2 sawhorses. The drill can be cheap, corded even. For cabinetry, the circular saw should be a quality one with a magnesium base so measured cuts are easier and replace the blade with a carbide blade with more teeth.

Some of the saws come with a track and are capable of table saw quality cuts. Storage is easy.

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you are going to do in the long run IMO
If you are going to do carpentry work. Buy a skill saw and or a bench top tablesaw.
If you are going to do "Woodworking" Buy a good cabinet style tablesaw. It is the heart beat of any woodworking shop hands down.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you are going to do in the long run IMO
If you are going to do carpentry work. Buy a skill saw and or a bench top tablesaw.
If you are going to do "Woodworking" Buy a good cabinet style tablesaw. It is the heart beat of any woodworking shop hands down.

Agreed.

keithp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skill is a good framing saw but not as good for fine cabinetry. Look for another brand that makes blade location measuring, angles, depth measurements easy. Power and speed is not the main concern.

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has no one mentioned a jointer yet?

If you're planning to do a lot of woodworking/cabinetry, a jointer should probably be at the top of your list with a miter saw (that is, of course, if you're not planning to make your projects with plywoods/sheetgoods).

With a jointer you can make your stock flat and parallel - ensuring flush miters and crisp corners.

There are quite a few older Craftsman jointers out there (1970s-80s), that you can find for <$200 and are excellent tools.

Just my $.02

plumber dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be frustrated if your trying to use a skillsaw for any cabinet making. I suggest at minum I would do a 10" miter saw. These are so handy at making straight and true cuts. I just picked up a metal cutting blade for mine so I could cut aluminum for a light rack I'm building for a friend.
Also when cutting trim pieces you'll find you just need to move the piece of material JUST A HAIR one way or the other. This is very easy on a benchtop with your miter saw countersunk. Harbor freight isn't that great but it'll do until it won't! I myself prefer to buy a quality tool that will last me many years.
I was just at lowes yesterday and they had a 12" hitachi compound miter saw for 399.00 with a laser. I contemplated then decided my 10" dewalt was probably good enough, lol.
For sure buy a kreg jig. They are sweet. I just finished building my stand and canopy with one.
I myself like the bosche table saw. Very quiet and cuts nice and straight and it folds up for storing ect.
Anyways here is my list in order of importance for what it's worth
Radio....is a must to get in the groove
Nice tape measure, I prefer Stanley fat max
Mechanical pencil for small accurate marks
Speed square
10" miter saw
Kreg Jig and clamps
Drill
Tablesaw
Router

NHreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the radio haha. I literally do almost all my cuts on my table saw. Miter saws are good but if you need to rip a board they're not

keithp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When buying a tape, square or level, make sure to check it in the store. Home Depot or shoppers don't care for their merchandise very well and a lot of it is not worth buying.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back