World Reef Conference October 3-4, 2009

cupcakepurpletang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from Southeast Wisconsin!

My husband and I are members of WRS (Wisconsin Reef Society) and CMAS (Chicago Marine Aquarium Society), and we are currently serving on the board to help kick off a new reef conference. We are hoping that members of your group might be able to attend the conference as it will be a lot of fun.

Would you mind posting information about the conference on your forum? I have registered on your site as cupcakepurpletang if your members have any questions for me. There is a group discount if you bring 15 members of your reef club to the event.

We can update you with the latest information as we receive it. If you have any questions, please let me help answer them!

Leslie Martinez
[email protected]

clip_image002.jpg
[FONT=&quot]Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS) is pleased to announce the 2009 World Reef Conference and Frag Fest, to be co-located with H H Backer’s 43rd annual Pet Industry Christmas Trade Show & Conference on October 3rd & 4th.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]WRC09 is a two-day educational conference and Frag Fest for saltwater hobbyists and promises to be the Midwest’s largest reef related conference event in 2009. The location for WRC09 is the Donald Stevens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]?[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Join us for two days of live presentations by top reefing experts, including Eric Borneman, Julian Sprung, Scott Fellman, Marc Levinson (Melev’s Reef), Jeff Turner and our very own Jim Walters of Oldtown Aquarium![/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]?[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you are interested in the latest aquarium lighting techniques or learning about fish and livestock aqua-culturing, WRC09 is the place to learn![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]?[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Attend the super popular “Build a Reefball†workshop that will be sponsored by Uberfrags and the International Reefball Foundation. There will also be two terrific DIY and photography workshops at WRC09.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]?[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Bid on & buy world class livestock in our Saturday Afternoon Live Auction![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]?[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Get some of the sweetest deals you’ll ever see on everything live, wet or even dry for your reef in our Sunday afternoon Reefers Rule aquatic auction![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]?[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] WRC09 will feature major reef-related raffles on both Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Every full conference pass includes FREE raffle tickets & you can purchase additional tickets to win any of over 500 raffle prizes![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]?[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]At WRC09, you can visit with the top manufacturers in the aquatic hobby, purchase livestock from any of over fifty top fraggers, meet and talk with fellow hobbyists from around the Midwest, win some great reefing prizes and even take some time to enjoy Chicagoland in the fall![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Oh yea, one more little detail….[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the first time ever[/FONT][FONT=&quot], WRC conference attendees will gain access to the H H Backer Pet Industry 43rd annual Christmas show! On Sunday, October 4th, WRC09 Conference attendees can spend a few hours visiting Aquatics Hall. Backer’s Show is the largest and most important pet industry event of its kind and all of the major aquatic manufacturers and wholesalers will be exhibiting there. As a WRC09 full conference attendee, you will be able to see the latest in aquatic hobby products and visit with some of the largest manufacturers and wholesalers in the world. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]The WRC09 two-day conference pass will include all speaker sessions, preferred selection of the aquatic workshops, ten free raffle tickets, access to Living Seas Young Reefers Experience, the largest ever Frag Fest, special access to the Backer Aquatic Hall on Sunday, free admittance to Backers famous All-Industry party on Saturday night and lots of freebies. Sign up at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.WorldReefConference.com[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]See you at World Reef Conference 09 in October![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just heard that WRC will not take place this year, but probably next year.

OP
OP
C

cupcakepurpletang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World Reef Conference

At this point, the leadership of the conference is deciding whether to go ahead with the conference or postpone it a year. I am sorry that I do not have a solid answer at this point whether it is still a go or not. As soon as I hear from leadership if it will be continuing this year, I will post an update =)

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please do post updates. my parents live in chicago and this might be a good reason to pay them a visit.

ziggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea once updates are posted, if this event is still going on then me and a buddy would be coming.

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John and Boyd told me that it is not running this year, but will be done next year.

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this official? I havent seen it posted anywhere else is the only reason I ask.

Well, "official" would be posted somewhere, as you say. I'm surprised they haven't done that. I wouldn't make any plane or hotel reservations, though.

Last edited:

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. An official notice has finally been posted elsewhere today. PM me for URL if you wish.

OP
OP
C

cupcakepurpletang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update on the World Reef Conference:

Phone Number: (847) 421.2413
E-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: World Reef Conference 2010 :

Press Release
World Reef Conference rescheduled
to 2010. WRC will Co-Locate with
Backer's Pet Industry 44th annual
Christmas Trade Show

CHICAGO, Ill. (August 8, 2009)--The Chicago
Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS) announced that
the World Reef Conference has been rescheduled.
CMAS and H.H. Backer Associates will co-locate their
events at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center
in Rosemont (Chicago), Ill., in October 2010.
The WRC Steering committee recommended the
change in dates, which will allow for far greater
participation from both marine aquatic vendors and
conference attendees. In recent weeks, we have
spoken with numerous potential exhibitors who wish
to participate in WRC, but are unable to because of
current budget restraints. Boyd Corbett, WRC Co-
Chair, stated that the change in dates is a fiscally
responsible move that will insure maximum
participation at World Reef Conference 2010.
We wish to thank all of the reef hobbyists and
exhibitors who have registered for World Reef
Conference. Any monies submitted will be cheerfully
refunded within the next ten days. CMAS is also in
contact with all of the WRC speakers to insure that
they will be available to participate in the
rescheduled event.

CMAS is optimistic that 2010 will be a terrific year
for the marine aquatic hobby and we are looking
forward to seeing all of you at the World Reef
Conference in October, 2010!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back