Worms? Ich?

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Recently picked up a copperband that looked to be healthy during initial inspection. A day or so after bringing him home he developed what I initially assumed was ich. I'm not so sure now though. He has what looks like a work coming out of the top. There are more, but I couldn't capture it well. He also has sole discoloration on his body. Please advise.
20210324_133804.jpg
20210324_133757.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It’s viral and known as lymphocystis. It is generally triggered by poor water conditions or poor diet or both.
And do realize, not your quality but that if the LFS you got Copperband from.
Assure your water quality is good and hopefully you’re not relying on api test kits
Is fish yet eating for you?

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s viral and known as lymphocystis. It is generally triggered by poor water conditions or poor diet or both.
And do realize, not your quality but that if the LFS you got Copperband from.
Assure your water quality is good and hopefully you’re not relying on api test kits
Is fish yet eating for you?
I run a Trident for the main and a mix of Red Sea, Hanna, and Salifert for the others. The water is clean but it is recovering from a no3 spike. He's picking copepods off of the rocks, not touching Nori or meats, unfortunately. I know lymphocystis and didn't think this was it, but I trust your judgment. Assuming that's what this is, I imagine it's safe to add him back to the main tank? I usually quarantine but rushed this guy into the tank because of his diet.. no pods in the quarantine tank.

Also, just want to reiterate that this was not visible the day prior.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I run a Trident for the main and a mix of Red Sea, Hanna, and Salifert for the others. The water is clean but it is recovering from a no3 spike. He's picking copepods off of the rocks, not touching Nori or meats, unfortunately. I know lymphocystis and didn't think this was it, but I trust your judgment. Assuming that's what this is, I imagine it's safe to add him back to the main tank? I usually quarantine but rushed this guy into the tank because of his diet.. no pods in the quarantine tank.

Also, just want to reiterate that this was not visible the day prior.
Typical of fibroblasts to just appear. When the virus first begins to grow, it may be confused with the parasites Cryptocaryon irritans (marine white spot disease), appearing as small white or off-white specks on the fish's skin or fins. My copperband eats LRS herbivore diet greedily. Live brine is also a good enticer for feeding.

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Typical of fibroblasts to just appear. When the virus first begins to grow, it may be confused with the parasites Cryptocaryon irritans (marine white spot disease), appearing as small white or off-white specks on the fish's skin or fins. My copperband eats LRS herbivore diet greedily. Live brine is also a good enticer for feeding.
Appreciate your knowledge! I'll put him back in the tank.

Any tips on getting him to take the food? I actually feed my tank LRS herbivore often - have two tangs (which are not bothering the copperband).

He isn't bullied, or shying away from it. He's just not interested.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back