Worms in display tank

hardimanm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I noticed some small worms in the display tank. They are less than an inch long and very thin. They are opaque in color with a dark spot on the "head" end and are darker in color on the "tail" end.
It appears i have more than a few of these critters in my tank. Anyone know what these things are and if they are something to worry about. Or does anyone know of a good online database where i can id these critters.
Also...what would be a good way to kill these worms if it comes down to that

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like bristle worms... they are harmless and there population will vary by the amount of food available. good scavenger cleaners.

i think there is a datebase on wetwebmedia.com

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I was cleaning the tank sunday night and found one that was about 3" long under a frag. tossed him to the sand bed. he burried under before anyone could eat him.

Rale2001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found out two days ago i had the same problem with these creatures. they not all over the place but i noticed 2 in particular and for some strange reason i have not seen my pistol shrimp lately he could be under one of the other rocks. they are cool as long as they dont touch my bta i'll snap some pics if i can catch one quick enough they disappear in my sandbed so quick

OP
OP
H

hardimanm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After catching one and looking at it using a magnifying glass I think yall are right....they look like small bristle worms.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things are like roaches. If you see 1 you've got 100 more you don't see. I consider them as an asset and part of my clean-up crew. They will eat particles of food that everybody else misses. Also if you have a fish die behind or under your rock work they will join the hermits in "disposing of the body". I suspect they might munch on a coral here and there but I think they do more good than harm.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a local guy bring me a Eunicid a few weeks ago:). It's a little guy, though (only2-3' long). I love those things. Need to get him plumbed into the system, though (separate tank, of course).

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Jenn constantly asks why I want something so ugly. I need to get it plumbed into my main water supply so it doesn;t get too cool. I've got it in a 10 gallon with just an airstone right now... The water is starting to cloud from PE Mysis...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back