Worried about tank stand quality

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aldo0990
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Aldo0990

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 10, 2022
Messages
24
Reaction score
11
Location
Mexico
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, this is my first post here. Yesterday I recieved a 30g tank and a stand i had custom made from my LFS, the tank looks pretty good but I’m not so sure about the stand, It’s made of mdf and the structure doesn’t look great to me, also it is really dirty. Do you guys think it can hold the weight of the tank or should i get another stand?
C6D04771-20F2-4093-AAB5-9377BF10D386.jpeg
4EA0BABE-2E68-4813-8CEE-20A4C4387EFA.jpeg
C2CE0558-6439-4F40-9ED2-57E22869AD8F.jpeg
 
Head on over to the Goodwill and or the salvation Army. Plenty stands at dirt cheap prices.
 
Eye-balling it it looks OK to distribute the weight if it’s level side to side / front to back, but keep it dry. However I’m not an engineer; see what others think as well.
 
I wouldn't chance it. Once MDF gets wet, you may be in trouble. And it will get wet!
I’m considering getting another stand custom made, what material would u recommend?
 
Looks fine, 30g and square.
Yep. I'd just get some feet or pads to raise it up off the floor. You will will get water down the sides of the stand at some point, and you don't want water pooling at the base of the MDF panels.
 
Yep. I'd just get some feet or pads to raise it up off the floor. You will will get water down the sides of the stand at some point, and you don't want water pooling at the base of the MDF panels.
If the MDF gets too wet could it collapse?
 
If the MDF gets too wet could it collapse?
Not necessarily, it will end up absorbing the water and you can get swelling/deterioration over time. But as long as the edges aren't sitting in water for any prolonged period of time you should be fine.
 
Hi guys, this is my first post here. Yesterday I recieved a 30g tank and a stand i had custom made from my LFS, the tank looks pretty good but I’m not so sure about the stand, It’s made of mdf and the structure doesn’t look great to me, also it is really dirty. Do you guys think it can hold the weight of the tank or should i get another stand?
C6D04771-20F2-4093-AAB5-9377BF10D386.jpeg
4EA0BABE-2E68-4813-8CEE-20A4C4387EFA.jpeg
C2CE0558-6439-4F40-9ED2-57E22869AD8F.jpeg
It will work for now but MDM doesn't fare well with salt water and that doesn't even look like a good seal on the MDM. Paint is very poor at dealing with the ravages of salt water. I always use a polyurethane finish to be sure. Prolly better though if you can get another stand, this one isn't very good.

Also a note those euro hinges will turn into rusted goo as time goes on. Especially if you put a sump in the bottom.

The LFS that made this for you really doesn't know or care about the needs of a stand for a salt water tank. I wouldn't do business with them again in this regard.
 
It will work for now but MDM doesn't fare well with salt water and that doesn't even look like a good seal on the MDM. Paint is very poor at dealing with the ravages of salt water. I always use a polyurethane finish to be sure. Prolly better though if you can get another stand, this one isn't very good.

Also a note those euro hinges will turn into rusted goo as time goes on. Especially if you put a sump in the bottom.

The LFS that made this for you really doesn't know or care about the needs of a stand for a salt water tank. I wouldn't do business with them again in this regard.
Thank you so much man, my main concern was if the stand could break under the pressure and drop my tank. I didn’t expect the stand to be this poor in quality so now I’m thinking in getting another one as soon as I can
 
I used this Florida Aquarium design for my stand. It is used by most people from the postings I have seen here on R2R. I have read about stand failures in the past here on R2R but can't locate the postings for you. As best I can recall, they involved MDF boards. IMO, it's worth it to have a solid stand for peace of mind.

https://cflas.org/2014/03/03/build-your-own-aquarium-stand/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new